Favorite Tippet Material

O

outsider

For most of my trout fishing I use 5X or 6X tippet. My favorite is Orvis SuperStrong Plus. Strong, with little memory. My least favorite is Rio. I find it to be too soft, kinks too easily, and the kinks stay there. Yours, and why?

Favorites 6x fluro is airflo sight free G3.its a bit stiff for 6x but a 6x fluro tippet that's 4lb breaking strength is awesome. I've caught many big fish on this tippet.

Favorite 5x fluro is rio fluroflex plus and seaguer grand max
Favorite 6x and 5x nylon is rio poweflex plus
Favorite fluoro 4x is seaguer grandmax at a very solid 7 lb breaking strength. I also like how all of these tippets fish. Although the orvis super strong fishes well it is to weak for me and the mirage breaks if you look at it.

Trouthunter nylon and fluoro

outsider wrote:
For most of my trout fishing I use 5X or 6X tippet. My favorite is Orvis SuperStrong Plus. Strong, with little memory. My least favorite is Rio. I find it to be too soft, kinks too easily, and the kinks stay there. Yours, and why?

I agree on all counts.

I don't use flouro. Maxima chameleon for streamers, maxima ultra green for everything else.

outsider wrote:

Agree - although I don't use 6x very much now. Only when fishing small - under size #20 - flies. 4x and 5x are used for practically all of my fishing.

However, the SSplus - that just came out a few years ago now - seems to have just a little more memory, than the original. Anyone else notice this?

Rio Flouroflex

I carry 2x – 6x.

Almost never use the 6x. I should probably replace it due to age at this point. 4x or 5x for almost all normal Trout applications. I run out of 4x most frequently, if that's a barometer. The 2x and 3x are used for streamers, or stepping down my tippet from the end of my leader…I used furled leaders.

I’m not brand loyal when it comes to tippet. Just bought a bunch of Cabelas house brand that was on sale for $1.99/30 yd spool. That should last me a while.

Rio Flouro Flex for sub surface in 2x to 5x and Rio Power Flex for dries in 4x to 7X

I used Super Strong for years. I am phasing it out in favor of Trout Hunter especially in fluro.

falcon wrote:
I used Super Strong for years. I am phasing it out in favor of Trout Hunter especially in fluro.

Why?

outsider wrote:
falcon wrote:

Why?

I'm curious too, I mostly use orvis mono and flouro but really I'm not picky. Is trouthunter cheaper, more expensive?

I switched to Trouthunter from Rio, after getting a few spools spools in which the material seemed abraded. Trouthunter fluoro seems less stiff than the Rio fluoro, in my opinion.

For under the surface I am cheap. I use Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon (110 yard spools). I think whats most important is that YOU understand the line and what the line can take. For dries I started using Maxima clear. It seems to lay out the fly a little nicer.

For maxima guys, you can buy full sized (250 yd or so) spools for like 11 bucks. They sell them by pound test. I think their 2lb is somewhere between 5 and 6x for a reference. They sell 2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15,20,25,30 lb test. I typically use 2lb for dries up to size 14 then increase from there. For streamers I usually use 6#, sometimes 8#. I will probably use 3# more often because they recently made that size available in the larger spools.

I use a lot of tippet so I like buying the big spools.

Like Steve, I've been a die-hard with Rio Power and Fluorocarbon but I've bought about 3 spools this year where the tippet is in shambles. Not sure if they sat in a warehouse to long or what the issue is but that stuff is to expensive to not be top quality. Looking to make a switch myself.

3oh4 wrote:
Like Steve, I've been a die-hard with Rio Power and Fluorocarbon but I've bought about 3 spools this year where the tippet is in shambles. Not sure if they sat in a warehouse to long or what the issue is but that stuff is to expensive to not be top quality. Looking to make a switch myself.

I personally feel all fluorocarbon line gets this way after a while. Flurorcarbon is by far the most brittle line I've dealt with. I'm conventional gear with bass throwing both spinning and baitcasters (currently building a fly rod for smallies though). Fluorocarbon line will break before mono and I've experienced this with several different brands. The older the line gets the easier the flurorcarbon frays and breaks.

I only carry Stroft tippet now. Unbeatable strength to diameter ratio. Not afraid to use 7X with this stuff, very strong.

Orvis Super Strong for as long as I can remember.

Back