Favorite Tandem Rigs

PT/Hares Ear/ Copper John/Cress Bug---------------Scud

With nymphs at this time of the year I like a BH char trout bug as my top fly and a FB tan scud as my bottom fly. Come summer I switch up to a mayfly nymph on top and a flymph bottom fly. It all really depends on time year and water conditions but I would say those are my main two combinations. I try to stay away from BH nymphs as much as possible, but sometimes the option isn't there.

With nymphs at this time of the year I like a BH char trout bug as my top fly and a FB tan scud as my bottom fly. Come summer I switch up to a mayfly nymph on top and a flymph bottom fly. It all really depends on time year and water conditions but I would say those are my main two combinations. I try to stay away from BH nymphs as much as possible, but sometimes the option isn't there.

PT on top
Copper John on bottom
If I'm fishing a third fly, its a micro mayfly nymph or a midge

partial to the elk hair----caddis pupae----caddis larvae
or............dry bwo---shop-vac----- bhpt

Have fished any nymph down to an unweighted bugger w. success as well.

size 10 olive Stimulator with 18-36" of 5x tippet and a size 14 Pheasant Tail nymph tied off the bend, unless I'm on a stream with a heavy caddis population, in which case the PT is replaced with either a size 14 Czech Nymph, Crunchy Caddis or, most often, a size 14 Hare's Ear Soft Hackle. Best searching rig I've ever found.

My go to rig has been a heavily weighted Walts Worm with an Al's Rat tied off the bend.

Back