Favorite tailing material for dry flies?

franklin

franklin

What is your favorite tailing material for dry flies? I've gone through several phases and am now using CDL for some, dry hackle fibers for others. I used micro fibetts for a while but they don't seem to hold up. Always seem to get kinked.

NJTroutbum might make a good subject for a video. (I didn't check to see if there is one already. Just don't remember seeing any.)

On spinners, comparaduns and parachutes, I use microfibbets. For quill body thorax style dry flies, I use hackle fibers. For some dun patterns with web wing for the wings, i use wood duck for the barring.

Yo fra

For classic Catskill type dries, I'm hoarding my pre-super genetic hackle necks, from India and China. Though the new breed gives fantastic hackles, they don't have the nice stiff spade hackles like the oldies.

For large #10+ dries, like big Dun Variants, where I like the flies to stand on their tippy toes and dance, I use specific non-hollow elk hair.

I'm not sure what season/sex/body part of the elk has this non-hollow hair, but it stays reasonably stiff when wet without being so wiry as to pop the fly out of a trout's mouth.

For most CDL. Particularly for larger flys. Smaller flies I use fibers from a full cape. Emerger types I use looped zelon.

GenCon

Synthetic paintbrush fibers or cheap hen hackle.

Microfibbets

CDL, micro fibets, or antron & zelon for emergers styles

moose body hairs

Moose body hair most often, Coq de Leon for delicate/light colored patterns

Whatever's in my scrap pile. I'm frugal.

Moose mane and antron or zelon with some wooduck or CDL. Moose mane is so much easier to work with than microfibbets. I would say over 75% dry or emerger i use antron or zelon. Sometimes in burnt orange so my pattern stands out.

Thanks for the replies. I have never tied with moose hair. Will have to give them a try.

Back