Favorite Style Dry to Tie

jifigz

jifigz

The title says it all. What is your favorite style of dry fly to tie? I am terrible at tying dries but I think that my favorite has to be parachute style dries. They are also my favorite to fish.

I'm with ya on the parachute dries as well...spinner style are easy to tie also but parachutes I fish the most and have the most success with.

Comparaduns

Attachments

• rps20170913_123600.jpg
    rps20170913_123600.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 3
Catskill dries. They're more to tie, and for me at least, seem to catch better than either Compar-duns or parachute style dries.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I'm with ya on the parachute dries as well...spinner style are easy to tie also but parachutes I fish the most and have the most success with.

Me too.

On flat water with tough fish...the top confidence fly for me is a parachute style tied sparse with splayed tail.

When I tied, I liked the Catskill style because there were so many techniques and materials to get wrong that when I tied a decent one, I felt I had accomplished something. I also, as a result, enjoyed fishing them most.

I fish with mostly parachutes, but my favorite to tie, and best/classic looking IMO, are catskills.

I like using Ken Tutalo's knock down dun style of fly with snowshoe hare wings instead of cdc.

I do have a fond spot for Catskill style dries. It took me years before I was really comfortable with the style, but now I find them fun to tie and to fish.

My favorite dries to tie are elk hair caddis's and stimulator's. When I do fish dries I mostly fish for wild brook trout. These work very well and float great for that long drift. There also pretty easy to tie.

I also love CDC comparaduns and emergers. I tie them almost identical but emerger on a curved hook and trailing shuck. Been using biot bodies for the dries more recently. Very easy to tie and think CDC is the most buggy looking wing.

Thorax with split tails and standard Catskills.

I tie all the styles. But catskills will always have a place in my box.
I still prefer many of the older styles. Next would be parachutes.
Fun to tie. Also very effective.

GenCon

I know they're not very fashionable anymore. But I still tie and fish catskill style flies almost exclusively.
They work for me!

While I fish a lot of parachutes and comparaduns, the OP asked "Favorite Style Dry to Tie"

That would be catskill ties. Take a look and behold the Red Quill Catskill tie posted by GenCon below.

A thing of beauty.

Attachments

• GenCon's Gem.jpg
    GenCon's Gem.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 2
Well - the OP did state in his initial post that parachutes are his favorite style to tie - and fish.

For me - I really enjoy tying flies that work.
IMO, there's nothing like coming back from a successful fishing trip, and having to retie a lot of a certain pattern that the fish really jumped on - and need replaced!

I've tied some very elaborate patterns, that looked really neat. And couldn't wait for the time to try them out.
Only to find out that they don't work very well at all!

My favorite tie is a cut wing Adams tied thorax style with a split tail and the hackle cut flush on the bottom. I use micro fibets for the tail and grizzly hen hackle for the wings. Muskrat dubbing. It looks like so many kinds of trout food, emerger, caddis, mayfly, you name it.

Mainly flies that incorporate deer hair for a wing, like Sparkle Duns, Letort Hoppers, X-Caddis, etc.
Thorax style flies would be a close second.

Back