Favorite Spent Caddis Pattern

The stream I fished I knew had a sulphur, march brown, tan caddis hatch going. I always carry olives and knew they would be a possibility. I actually thought I was pretty covered with what I needed.

I agree presentation is big. I proved that with the size 14 black bodied black parachuted egg laying grannom that I missed 2 takes on. However, those fish were really keyed into those size 18 spent apple caddis that I was not prepared with. The day was by far a loss and a highly enjoyable day.

I am one that is obsessive compulsive with certain situations. I will never give in and will pound away until I figure a fish out. I had to to be pulled away from these rising fish with the lure of other large fish rising to yellow mayflies. I am glad I was pulled away.

I would have went back the next day to establish my dominance over the pea brain pigs, but decided to spend the day with the kiddos.

Here is a little guy that my cousin caught on the new water.

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2
Here is Mike Lawson tying a partridge wing parachute (HD available).

Mike Lawson Tying EZ Caddis

I would not do everything exactly like he does, but you can see how it would be possible to tie this tent like as he does, but then press it down and flatter if you need to. Or tie it more spent to begin with. But I prefer flies that can do double duty if possible.

I would think that he tends to fish either from a drift boat or accross and down, which means showing the rear of the fly first, and therefore highlighting that silhouette, which may be one of the reasons the post is not bothersome. Not to mention a sipper near the surface does not have much of a window. I'm just guessing I don't know the man.

He seems like a down-to-earth guy and I think these are his first videos. It's not often one of the "big" names in fly fishing puts out HQ free vids like these. In a separate video he reviews Hungarian partridge skins and has some interesting comments that are relevant.

It could be helpful to know how the Apple Caddis oviposit. Some species do so on the surface the way many mayflies do, others are diving caddis, and I believe some climb down to the streambed on rocks. So exactly where in the water column the riseform takes place. (Surface, subsurface, and inch or two below) Its probably rare that the fish become so keyed, but when they do, and they are large, it can be an important problem to solve!

Most of the comments here suggest seasoned angler making good observations. But its a common mistake of less experienced flyfishers to see a rise form and think its time for a dry fly. Shane is no newby and out-fishes me all the time, but I thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of other readers, the possibility of sub-surface riseforms. Careful observation is always important.

On more than one occasion , actually more than a few times, a properly presented wet will take the fish that seem to be eating near the surface. The trick is to be located where, at the end of the drift, the fly rises through the water column into the fishes window of sight. At that point you still need a reasonable facsimile of the food source to seal the deal. The fly needs enough mass to get it down during the drift but not so much that it can't rise at the end.

Back