Favorite season of year to fish

Ian:

good point ian - it's pretty hard to beat a good blue quill or hendrickson hatch on a warm April afternoon.
And also, as rrt said, in spring time, the cold winter is finally over and you have a whole season ahead of you.
But, after 25 years of flyfishing, I now honestly believe that fall is my favorite time, with early spring a close second.
Besides the beautiful fall foilage, and almost deserted streams, the fising is a lot simpler - for dries. When I find fish rising now, it's almost always to BWO's. Some streams also have good slate drake and caddis hatches, and maybe some terrestial fishing on warm afternoons, and that's pretty much it. So many times I've been out in spring time when there's maybe 4-5 different flies hatching at one time, and going nuts trying to figure out which one they're taking.
I also love the typically low water levels of fall - it seems to encourage the fish to rise more in my experience.
So many times in spring, the streams I want to fish are too high.

Yea- everyone remeber how you answered because I am printing out these results and gonna take this poll again in April or in a few weeks when there are 2 billion leaves sunk,floating and otherwise attched to your line.

Fall is a great time of year but my favorite time of years is Spring. With all the hatches and able to shed all those heavy clothes and feeling that warn Sun on your back, it's great to be out there. I do enjoy the Fall with all the color, the only thing I don't like about it, winter is coming and, I HATE WINTER!

PaulG

Back