Favorite Knots?

Improved Clinch and Triple surgeons.

For the past several years I have been tying the Eugene Bend Knot or Pitzer Knot. It is super easy to tie and it has an audible "click" when it seats correctly. Non-slip mono loop for streamers.

Orvis knot....practice tying the knot with the intended leader material before starting the season. Always know where the fingers of both hands are.

I use the regular ole clinch most of the time on nymphs and dries trout fishing.

I go to a trilene or palomar on the bigger flies for trout or when there is a good chance of hooking a large trout, and always when carp fishing.

I’ll use a double Davey on the tiny stuff (smaller than 18).

Streamers it’s a non slip mono loop or trilene or palomar depending on the action I want outta the fly.

Leader to tippet ring trilene or palomar - tippet to tippet ring- trilene or clinch.

Albright for backing to fly line.

Fly line to leader perfection loop to perfection loop - or a nail knot with a little uv coat on my euro rig (needs to be smooth as your constantly going in and out of guides)

If I’m building a leader, blood knots.

If I’m setting up a dropper rig I’ve been using a triple surgeons mostly but experimenting with others. I like the triple surgeons for its ease to tie, but not for its tendency to not seat all that great unless you are really careful with it. I’ve tried the J knot, which I like the strength of but it’s a bit of a pain to tie cuz of the longer strand of tippet to feed through, but with some practice I think it could be a good alternative (it’s actually really kinda a triple Davy between two lines). I’ve also tried the seaguar which is good but I don’t like the way it tends to twist around itself when tying it. I just discovered the Japanese figure 8 which is basically a seaguar knot without the three twists in the loop... it’s just a half twist. I might switch from the triple surgeons that the figure 8 to test it a bit. I like the simpliciTy and apparently it’s strong. If it’s stronger than a triple surgeons, forget it I am switching.

I’d be curious to hear if anyone follows a similar approach. It seems like I use more knots than the average guy for different purposes / fly types, etc.

I am not a good knot tier and have lost many fish because of this.

I am now in the want to improve mode more than ever. I just leave the stream and go to my 2005 Jeep Liberty where I have a lighted magnified lense and inexpensive vises and can tie flies to leader and tippet.

It takes time away from the stream, but I can get it just right even though I waste a lot of tippet making sure that I waste time away from fishing to get the improved clinch knot and surgeons knot just right.

It is better to spend the time required under a magnifying glass to get a perfect knot than to lose another fish because of my poor knot tying.

Palomar for double line knots,Improved clinch for single line and perfection for loop knots.

Back