Favorite Knots?

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

As long as I can remember, I’ve always tied my flies/lures onto my line by simply passing the line through the eye and tying 3 overhand knots. It has never failed me, does not take much line to do, and is really fast and easy to tie. I am just wondering, does anybody else use this, and if not what are your go-to’s?

For years I've tied all my flies with a clinch knot, but lately I've preferred the davy knot and like the switch.

It totally depends on the size of the fly. On larger flies I'll often use a Trilene Knot, Palomar knot, or Duncan's loop. On tiny flies it is often a regular old clinch.

Improved clinch knot for me. Except for streamers I've been using Lefty's non-slip loop knot.

I like the Davy knot. It is easy to tie on large and very small flies.

Orvis knot for all but salmon and steelhead where I go to clinch or palomar

I like the Orvis knot. I don't use it much because I need a knot i can tie with my eyes closed. Too blind. Stick with improved clinch. New glasses this year, we'll see.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
As long as I can remember, I’ve always tied my flies/lures onto my line by simply passing the line through the eye and tying 3 overhand knots. It has never failed me, does not take much line to do, and is really fast and easy to tie. I am just wondering, does anybody else use this, and if not what are your go-to’s?

You've never had a knot fail? I hear people say this and I don't understand it. The knots being discussed are no where near 100% of line strength, therefore they are the weakest point.

Cinch knot. Had plenty fail, mostly because I tied them poorly. 3 overhand knots seems scary but whatever works.

I'm in with the Davy knot. Quick easy and small!

Improved clinch every time for connections and triple surgeons for tippet to leader. It’s all about being quick. I’ve also learned that being stingy with line makes my knots worse.

Uni knots. Everything from snelling hooks to joining line/leaders. I tie others,many others depending on situations. If and when you tie enough knots you will know good ones just by looking at them.
Simplest fly to leader knot:Turtle Knot. GG :cool:

Davy knot for me.

Uni-knot for me. Simple (eyes closed) and effective.

Davey for small flies. Double dave knot for larger. Perfection for line to leader connection.

My favorites:

Freshwater - Improved Clinch Knot
Saltwater - Albright Knot

Ever since going to guide school, I have never used anything but a no slip mono loop for any streamer or wet fly style pattern. With a little practice it becomes very easy to manipulate the size of the loop and it is not a knot that easily breaks if I am playing a fish correctly. For any nymph/dry fly fishing I have never needed anything other than an improved clinch knot. I'm assuming you don't mean homemade leader knots and dropper rigs etc, otherwise I'll add another paragraph or two of my opinion.

improved clinch/triple surgeons

Improved clinch for leader to hook and blood knot for connecting tippet. I'm not a fan of loop to loop connections. I use a nail knot to connect my leaders to line and then cover them with loon uv knotsense. I like to have a seamless transition as the line and leader pass through the guides. I keep one reel/line setup with loop to loop in case I might want to use sinking tip between my leader and line.

Perfection loop is good to learn if you do a lot of loop to loop.

Davy or double davy for the fly.
Improved clinch if I'm using a tandem rig
surgeon's knot for connecting tippet.

Back