Favorite High water Tie

P

pwk5017

For some people, it is possible some streams will be low enough to fish this weekend. "low enough" is most likely considered very high by normal standards, so I figured everybody would be fishing their favorite high water producer. I guess mine is a pink san juan about 1"-1.25" long tied on a size 12. I have had some very memorable days fishing such a fly on spring creek.

Unfortunately, I wont be fishing spring creek this weekend, so I may have to switch tactics to target the common holdover/stockie. I have some time left to hit the tying bench before saturday, so I am interested in your most effective patterns.

Patrick

Big stonefly nymphs are my favorite.

Black BH Bugger.

The stream I'm targeting for this weekend has dropped a good bit already. It definitely won't be "high" by the time I fish it (without any further rain). Should hopefully still be above mean flows for this time of year though. I tend to like to fish little streams though. The big ones will still be rockin' this weekend.

White marabou muddler with a red tail.

Can't beat a big ol' bugger! #6, conehead, hefty lead wrap underneath with a splash of sparkle (flash in tail -or- crystal chenille).

I'll take a Shenk's white minnow any day, any where. It simply catches fish. Suspect an all white bugger may do well, but it lacks the minnow like profile whick imthing makes the white minnow so effective.

Pink san juan and a simple sz 14 stonefly produced today. Stream was really freaking high and cold from snow runoff. Stream temp of 39 degrees and white water kayakers on meadow run. First time I have seen that.

For both trout and smallies, when the creeks are high and off color or downright muddy, I like a heavy streamer fly about 3" long with a bulky profile - lots of marabou or rabbit strip. Color would be black with an orange or chartreuse head/front.

White Bugger!!

Besides the obvious choice of a streamer my go to fly when water is high is a size 10 walts worm. I tie mine with orange thread underbody so it bleeds through and ribbed with UV rib with an orange thread head. I fish them weighted with a bead head or just weighted body with lead. Will catch fish anywhere.

Size 12 rubber legged copper john in blue or red, along with big black buggers.

Back