Favorite flies: Savage River MD tailwater

S

Savage109

I have just added the tying component into my pursuit of trout and I'm both hooked and overwhelmed at the same time. I feel like learning to tie has opened my eyes about how little I actually understand about trout's feeding tendencies. In an effort to get a bit more strategic in my approach I have decided to try to fill a box of nymphs wets and dries that are specifically intended for a favorite fishery of mine, Savage river MD. In turn I hope to give the box to my Dad to get him a bit more interested in the hobby as I am in need of a fishing buddy and Savage is just miles from his house.

I was hoping to hear what works for you guys to confirm some of my research/assumptions and to make sure I don't send my Dad out there with a box full of flies that aren't fish catchers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

So far I've tried some size 18 Caddis larva imitations

That caddis nymph looks really good - nice job!

(That fly will definitely fish well on the Savage)

I'm not a Savage regular but fish it from time to time. I wouldn't worry too much about tying flies that are particular to a certain stream. It's certainly true that some streams have a large number of certain species - think scuds, or caddis, or sculpins, etc - and this can influence what patterns you should stock up on.

If it were me, I'd build up your dad's fly box with a good selection of small, generic nymphs like your caddis and basic pheasant tail type stuff. Keep 'em on the small side (#16 and smaller) and tied in earth tones. Throw in a few larger nymphs too, but have more of the little guys. Some basic zebra midges and a handful of bigger streamers - you can't go wrong with black wooley buggers - should round out the sub-surface stuff.

For dries, I'd have some ants, elk hair caddis, midges, generic mayflies like the rusty spinner, etc., and a couple big bushy dries like the stimulator or hopper patterns.

A broad selection of basic flies should be your goal with this project. You certainly have the tying ability to work these up. Don't worry too much about perfection as these flies are meant to be fished and can be a bit rough.

Thanks for the pointers Dave_W. I will definitely gear up for those patterns. So you wouldn't try to tie specific nymph patterns like blue quills and sulphurs?

Savage109 wrote:
So you wouldn't try to tie specific nymph patterns like blue quills and sulphurs?

No, not really.

A #16 pheasant tail nymph imitates both sulpher and blue quill nymphs. The fish won't know the difference.

If you plan to give your dad a labeled box - that is to say one with written fly titles like you see in a fly shop - then you might have 2 or 3 nymphs labeled "blue quill' and some labeled "sulpher" etc. and you could tie them slightly differently. This would look nice, but isn't necessary if your main goal is to provide you dad some flies for fishing.

Ditto for dry flies. A basic, #16 Adams and rusty spinner will imitate most mayflies. For smaller bugs like blue quills or BWOs, just tie them in smaller sizes (mainly #18 and 20).

Got your PM and responded sorry for the delay I don't always see them. Dave is spot on. The trout on the savage don't get great looks at flies due to the steep gradient and pocket water. The only place on the savage that I get closer to matching the hatch than an Adam's is on 7x flats. I keep things very simple when I'm there. The only thing I would throw in is the green weenie and san juan. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I've got my work cut out for me, but I'll be sure post pictures when significant progress is made.

If you need help on the savage dm me. I fish the lower a lot. To be honest like Ryan said I only fish dries on 7x flat and some of the lower beats below 100cfs. Other then that as everyone said they have a split second to look at your fly, in my opinion for the lower it’s all about getting down into the feeding lane. I’ve gone days where I’ve caught fish on 24 midges down to 14 nymphs. But for the time of year, focus on Pt, caddis pupae and emergers, midges, the basics really. Certain conditions on the lower you can’t beat a worm.

Back