Favorite BWO Emerger Pattern

salmo

salmo

This may have been posted before, but what is your favorite BWO emerger pattern?

Sparkle Duns are pretty awesome although that may not be the "emerger" type that you're looking for. I'm going to throw some sparkle dun BWO's at some brown trout on Spring this Saturday and I hope that the fish are interested.....but first I need to hit the vise and restock my dry flies.

The Shillinglaw Emerger is a pretty basic and versatile olive emerger pattern from the Upper Midwest that works well everywhere there are BWO's...

Here are two takes on the pattern:

http://mntroutforums.com/2013/02/13/

http://dubuqueflyfishers.org/Swap14/ShillinglawEmerger.html

jifigz wrote:
Sparkle Duns are pretty awesome although that may not be the "emerger" type that you're looking for. I'm going to throw some sparkle dun BWO's at some brown trout on Spring this Saturday and I hope that the fish are interested.....but first I need to hit the vise and restock my dry flies.

+1, sparkle dun / comparaduns are usually my go-to dry / emerger patterns for bwo's as well as sulphers.. for what my opinion is worth.

Tying some this year with both cdc and hair for more float-ability I hope

I've never tied with CDC but maybe I'll pick some up at Flyfisher's Paradise on Saturday. What are the distinct advantages/qualities of CDC?

A small CDC version tied with a green body and no tail with a puff of gray CDC. Very simple fly that I like in #20 - 24 when fish are getting technical on small BWOs or midges.

jifigz wrote:
What are the distinct advantages/qualities of CDC?

I'm not really one who uses a lot of CDC, but when fish are sipping midges or BWOs I usually reach first for a CDC pattern.

I think the main advantage is that you get a bouyant fly (CDC is a naturally bouyant feather) that sits very low on the surface film. I like mine to have the body in or below the film with just the CDC puff above the water tension, hence no tails or hackle. Works very well.

The main disadvantage is that when a fish takes the fly and the CDC gets wet or slimed, it is hard to get it back to floatability. "Frog's Fanny" and some similar powder products will help.

I usually just tie on a fresh one.

CDC moves as a wing material. It is not static. This movement adds a touch of realistic mayfly wing movement. It does have to be maintained sometimes every 4 or 5 drifts. Touch it up with Frogs fanny. You may have to squeeze the fly dry especially after landing a fish before dusting the fly.

Mole fly I tie this but I add a trailing shuck made of zlon and use olive dubbing and dun CDC for bwos. Change hook size and color to match any mayfly.

evil_olive.jpg
[/url]
picture hosting
[/img]

Not really an emerger style, but this is for sure on of my favorite early season patterns, can even get away with sizes up to 16 if you like to oversize beads

edit : picture from the goat of videos Tim Flagler

don't they "emerge" on the stream bottom and rise to the surface fully out of the pupal shuck?
John Collins tied a pattern with CDC puffs and in his narration mentioned this.(I think)

I'll go one step further and give you a favorite pattern for:
BWO
Blue Quill
Cornuta
Hendrickson
Sulphur
Steno
basically most mayflies, just match the size

I tie my own version of this called a breakout emerger. After laying your CDC in for you wingcase and before you bring it up to tie in, tie in a small amount of rabbits foot then bring up the CDC straight thru the rabbits foot splitting the rabbit foot so it pops out each side. This fly can be used as an emerger or spinner. Its deadly on the toughest pickiest fish.

Attachments

• emerger.jpg
    emerger.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 7
I second Boychick's mention of the Mole fly. Here is my version in a size 20.

Attachments

• Mole Fly.JPG
    Mole Fly.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 8
acesedgley wrote:
don't they "emerge" on the stream bottom and rise to the surface fully out of the pupal shuck?

No. (I'm assuming that the particular BWO under discussion here is a Baetis.) See under "Hatching Behavior" at Troutnut - Baetis.

The only mayflies that I know of that emerge underwater are Quill Gordons and their relatives.

They do lay their eggs underwater, though, so submerged winged adults do make sense, just not as emergers.

thanks..I'll check that out.

Googled this up..."This week John Collins rolls out one of his original flies, the CDC Puff Baetis Emerger. This pattern is meant to represent an emerging Blue Wing Olive. Olives split their shuck on the bottom and swim up to the surface with wings exposed as an adult. FISH THIS PATTERN ON THE BOTTOM!!! Olives get out of their shuck on the bottom and swim up with their wings already out."
I also did look at Troutnut.
Can anyone shed some light on this discrepancy?

charlie craven soft hackle emerger. not always the easiest to see on the water, but the most versatile fly since the wooly bugger.

acesedgley wrote:
Googled this up..."This week John Collins rolls out one of his original flies, the CDC Puff Baetis Emerger. This pattern is meant to represent an emerging Blue Wing Olive. Olives split their shuck on the bottom and swim up to the surface with wings exposed as an adult. FISH THIS PATTERN ON THE BOTTOM!!! Olives get out of their shuck on the bottom and swim up with their wings already out."
I also did look at Troutnut.
Can anyone shed some light on this discrepancy?

A quick look at the photos on this page should convince you that what you just quoted is just plain wrong.

Also notice the legs on the suspended nymph. There's a reason Sawyer didn't put leg on the original Pheasant Tail.

Back