Favorite Bobbin or (Bobbin Holder)

I like the Rite Bobbin. I have 4 of them. Once you get the right tension you can forget about it until the thread runs out.

I also really like the way it feels in my hand.

I have two nice bobbins inherited from my uncle so they have to be at least 25 yrs old.

The one pictured is a Umpqua but I think they were recently discontinued.

The other bobbin is 4-1/2" long and looks like a Dr Slick but is much heavier and better quality than a Dr Slick I recently bought.

P7151356.jpg

Splurged and ordered a Tiemco from Blue Quill Angler. Actually, I had a gift card. I figure after 20 years of fly tying it is time for a decent bobbin.

And to top it off, house move is complete. I will actually have a dedicated fly tying room that is not in the basement. Happy times.

I've used this one from Stonfo for about a year and really like it. I see TC talked about it earlier and he turned me onto Stonfo's stuff last year. For the price it's a really great higher end bobbin.

Also their simple design hackle pliers are nothing short of fantastic. I couldn't find one I liked and can't believe how easy and reliable the one is I got from Stonfo. It's spring loaded to hold the end of the feather and a simple spin on your finger.

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/stonfo-elite-bobbin.html

I picked up a Tiemco at Somerset. Expensive but a really nice bobbin.

Another nice bobbin is Cabela's ceramic for $9.99:

Attachments

• canvas.png
    canvas.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
My Tiemco arrived on Saturday. I am still getting my tying room set up so I have not had a chance to use it. Snow in the forecast for my area tomorrow, so perhaps I can get some tying done then.

RC Fetter: I did look at the one from Cabelas. How does it tie?

RCFetter wrote:
I picked up a Tiemco at Somerset. Expensive but a really nice bobbin.

Another nice bobbin is Cabela's ceramic for $9.99:

^+1
Best bang for your buck

Bobbin

Tiogadog wrote:

RC Fetter: I did look at the one from Cabelas. How does it tie?

Dollar wise it's probably the best bobbin. When I started tying I ruined it by using it for wire. Did a google search and learned that a pencil eraser is good for smoothing the ceramic. I probably worked on it for 20 min but the eraser worked.

Back