FAVICON FANS

JackM

JackM

Staff member
Maybe you know about these maybe you don't, but in Internet Explorer and other browsers, you may notice that in your "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" menu, the websites sometimes display a small picture icon related to the site. I find these very useful for immediately recognizing the site I want to click to, but I noticed our PAFF doesn't have one appear.

My understanding is the website can have an icon called favicon in its root directory or perhaps each directory which displays pages, then each page directs the browser to find it, blah, blah, blah....

Anyhow, you can set a favicon in your favorites menu by right-clicking the link in your favorites, selecting "Properties," then navigating/browsing to an icon of your choice. Little problem: you have to have an appropriate icon to select.

Now you do. Right-click below and save the file "favicon.ico" somewhere on your hard-drive. Then go to your favorites and select properties for PAFF and navigate to the icon you just saved.

RIGHT-CLICK HERE TO SAVE
For non-nerds-- nevermind!

Thanks Jack! I noticed that awhile back, and never got around to asking about it.

JH

Thank you so much, jack. There is a bug in firefox that causes the favicon to get messed up when you try to connect to a site and the internet drops. The next available site that you connect to will put its own favicon in place of the failed one. Because of this, I've had a google "G" for this site for some time.

I'm incredibly anal about the damn little things, and they must be in order. One of my favorite sites can now get moved to the right side where it belongs!

With firefox, there is an extension available to make the process painless:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3176

Instructions here:
http://www.nofullstop.com/2007/11/29/pick-your-custom-favicon-for-your-bookmarks/

I realized the image I made the favicon from was the old site logo. A favicon derived from the new logo can be downloaded here:

RIGHT-CLICK HERE TO SAVE

Back