fast action bass rod

skiltonian wrote:
they're not fast ([color=CC0000]I was going to bash orvis but guess I should watch what I say now that afish is working for them[/color])- coltons sounds like the best deal right now unless you want to watch e-bay for a sage or loomis

Hey Skil, don't let anything influence what you post on here. Post away!

I cast some of the rods mentioned. The TFO Ticrx is a fast and powerful rod, but fairly heavy. Fred's Colton rod is very fast, kinda stiff but great for an aggressive caster. The Orvis Clearwater rods (tipflex) are not as fast, maybe easier to load for some casters. All these rods are suitable for the job, but like all rods choices, it's really up to the individual and how it casts and fishes for them. As always, try casting a bunch of rods in your price range and pick the one that works best for you.

Try the winston ascent rods very fast and you can catch em on close out for around $119.

I have the 9’, 8wt TFO TiCr and it is a nice rod for the price but I will confirm what others have said, it is stiff and heavy. I will add that to me it seems it is best suited for longer casts (40+ feet) and if fishing smaller waters where casts are within 30 feet, it really doesn't load properly and should probably be overlined.

A really nice bass rod is the Sage largemouth or smallmouth rod. That really is a nice rod. The drawback is it is less than 8 feet I believe but it casts like a dream.

Another rod I picked up as a spare is a 9’, 7wt TFO Professional series that I over line with 8wt line. Although I haven’t had a lot of stream time with it, it seems much nicer to cast and is a little lighter than the TiCr – and also less expensive.

anyone use a 10' rod?

I have never seen a 10' rod that I would call "fast". Maybe they exist and they are out of my price range... but once you get above 9', things start getting whippy.

jayL wrote:
I have never seen a 10' rod that I would call "fast". Maybe they exist and they are out of my price range... but once you get above 9', things start getting whippy.

Man, it's so weird that you don't have an avatar anymore. Where did it go?

He hasnt figured out how change the size of the pictures with the new apple at work yet .Ever since he got that fancy new job his post count has slowed quite a bit!

Got rid of the dirty word play. Gotta think of something new.

rhbuilds wrote:
anyone use a 10' rod?

10' tfo teeny 5wt. its rad. i also have a 9' teeny in 8wt. they claim both are fast, but there's no comparision even taking into effect the difference in weights.. the 5 doesn't feel near as fast to me, and i can make it dance; but the 8wt feels like a broomstick and i overline it by 2.

I would whole heartedly recommend the TFO Teeny signature rods.

I do wish I'd have bought the 10' 8wt, though.

There's always the next one.

Those St Croix Bank robber rods look like they would be nice for bassin'. Though what I have works just fine.

I have 10'6" 9wt St Croix Legend Ultra and 10' 7wt St Croix Legend Ultra. I used a 10'a lot this Summer for fishing from a pontoon on lakes. 10' rod has distinct advantages. The ability the throw a popper with dropper is much more easily facilitated. Fishing from a pontoon sitting on the water gives you the ability to keep the line up when casting. If you fish moving water it gives you great line control. A 7,8,9 wt 10' will also give you a good steelhead and light saltwater rod.

Personally speaking, I'm a big fan of Cabela's rods. Good pricing and the warranty speaks for itself.

Here's a rod in your price range that sounds like what you're looking for.

Jdad - can you put that 10'er on a prop rod with some cut bait??? :-D

who makes cabelas rods?

St. Croix blanks?

jdaddy wrote:
Chinese women in sweat shops. Obviously.

Just like 75% of the rest of the consumer goods we buy! :-?

wgmiller wrote:
St. Croix blanks?

The older ones, yes. The newer ones, probably not.

Take a look at the LL Bean Quest 2 and Streamlight rods, too. They definatly seem faster than what I'd like (how's that for ambiguous), and they're certainly cheap and a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

has anyone used a 10' for bass?

jdaddy wrote:
I have 10'6" 9wt St Croix Legend Ultra and 10' 7wt St Croix Legend Ultra. I used a 10'a lot this Summer for fishing from a pontoon on lakes. 10' rod has distinct advantages. The ability the throw a popper with dropper is much more easily facilitated. Fishing from a pontoon sitting on the water gives you the ability to keep the line up when casting. If you fish moving water it gives you great line control. A 7,8,9 wt 10' will also give you a good steelhead and light saltwater rod.

Back