fast action bass rod

rhbuilds

rhbuilds

looking to get a fast action rod for large mouth. i currently have a med action 7wt but it don't like the large streamers or plugs, flex to much. i don't want to spend allot, maybe $200 or so. i see orvis has the clearwater11 rods, anyone ever use one?

I have a TFO TiCrX that I've been using for Steelhead and plan I using it for bass in the summer. It's certainly fast and probably within your budget, check it out and cast it if you can.

TFO makes awesome rods!

I have a 9' 8wt TFO TICR and it is a fantastic bass rod. It can throw the line a mile and is very smooth. I use it also for steelhead, but it casts beautfully. Very fast action and def in your price range.

I'd go 9wt for bucket mouths though. You could fight them fine on a 6wt but do youself a favor and get a rod that will toss big bugs with ease!

Alpha,

Do you have any of the slower TFO rods? I was thinking about building one over the holidays.

I had two of them they were great casters as well, but they were wicked heavy.

I have a lower end TFO 4wt. It is heavy, but I like it. Still use it regularly.

Regarding the bass rod, try a dan craft FT. They are about as fast as they come. I love mine.

I had a super fast high end once and hated it. Once they get two fast they lose feel imo.

I didn't buy it for feel. :)

I would go with a Colton UD Tradewind 8 or 9 wt for bucketmouths. I own a 9 and a 8 wt and love them. With the holiday sale going on right now you could probably get one for about 140 right now . all the guys on bassbarn rave about them . Plus the owner of the company lives in Pa . They have a no fault lifetime warranty and they're made in England and a lot better than TFO IMHO . Did I mention these rods are cannons :-D

http://coltonfly.com/

I'd consider trying out a TFO Clouser rod. I currently own two of the TFO Teeny rods, and love the 10' 5wt as is, the 9' 8wt I overline with a 10WFF and feel very happy with, as well.

The Clouser rods were supposed to be built to lending themselves to turning over big hair bugs.

Anyone try the orvis clearwater rods?

they're not fast (I was going to bash orvis but guess I should watch what I say now that afish is working for them)- coltons sounds like the best deal right now unless you want to watch e-bay for a sage or loomis

Bash away my friend...lets here what you have to say!

Fredrick wrote:
I would go with a Colton.../quote]

Who makes your two handed rod, Colton or someone else?

gfen wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
I would go with a Colton.../quote]

Who makes your two handed rod, Colton or someone else?

It's a Beulah 6/7 switch rod for 300 it's yours I'll even include the switch line for it :-D

Fredrick wrote:
It's a Beulah 6/7 switch rod for 300 it's yours I'll even include the switch line for it :-D

My initials forays into switchery hasn't done me all that much good, I'm waiting for someone to come buy and take my Cabela's LST off my hands.

Why didn't you like it? I thought you were a proponent of two-handed, or is it you want a better one...?

On topic: Redtruck has a bunch of Sage rods on clearance, Flyshopcloseouts had Winstons.

gfen wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

My initials forays into switchery hasn't done me all that much good, I'm waiting for someone to come buy and take my Cabela's LST off my hands.

Why didn't you like it? I thought you were a proponent of two-handed, or is it you want a better one...?

I want to upgrade to a two handed surf rod . The switch gets the job done. But the surf rod is a better tool for the job I need it for .

http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/surfrods/index.php

Back