Famous waters you haven't fished close to your home

I have fished every famous stream in my area.

I'm with Jack.

Yeah, but your famous locals are different than mine-- PM sent.

A previous job put me in most PA counties at some point in any given 2 year period, so I have hit most of them. Now, though not close, Slate Run still eludes me.

Brodheads is one, though I've fished some of its tribs. Beaverkill is 1/2 hour from the camper, haven't gotten there yet.

If they are famous its worth seeing why,me thinks but never ever a pay for play,they just don't count IMHO even if the fish are the same.

I don't know what is considered famous in Cambria County, specifically the Johnstown area. I have fished almost every local stream that is considered trout water, and I am not sure if there are any famous streams in my area, at least within a half hour drive

Cuyahoga River comes to mind. I've never fished it, but did fish a trib of it once. :lol:

the famous streams are famous for different reasons? -- big fish, difficulty, and angling literature (Letort); big water and big fish (U Delaware); scenery and remote area (Slate and Penns); wild trout in the suburbs (Valley); interesting water temps and geology (limestoners); urban with trout (L Lehigh); history (Spruce and Brodhead), etc...

have fished several, but they are all different. so not all my type of stream.

I would guess the Pohopco and Pocono Ck. My buddies do great there, but I generally fish the Brodhead and McMichaels Ck in the Poconos with plenty of trips to the Lehigh Valley and the Catskills.

Too many streams, too little time. And I'm retired.

still havent fished the yough outflow, which may or may not make me a bad person.

Probably is my most-fished water, but not my favorite. It can be the only game in town during summer heatwaves, and often is for short trips in the winter. When other streams become "available," I generally go to them. With the trail access a lot of the river below the outflow is open so anglers can spread out. At the same time, because of the river's width, I can share an area with a few other anglers and still not feel crowded.

Not near me, but that certain famous water near Chambersburg has only enticed me twice and the experience was not pleasant. Oh, the stream is a marvel, but the fishing is quite the chore. I'd love to fish it with someone who knows the water well.

Meadow Run, Dunbar, Neshannock, Oil Creek and Cool Spring. None are what you would call real close, but these are streams that get mentioned fairly often in the western part of the state that I have not fished.

shortrod2 wrote:
Meadow Run, Dunbar, Neshannock, Oil Creek and Cool Spring. None are what you would call real close, but these are streams that get mentioned fairly often in the western part of the state that I have not fished.

I could show you two of those five if you ever come down this way. I suspect the Laurel Highlands streams are much different than what you have in your neck of the Penn's woods.

JackM wrote:
shortrod2 wrote:

I could show you two of those five if you ever come down this way. I suspect the Laurel Highlands streams are much different than what you have in your neck of the Penn's woods.

I guess you missed the "Westmoreland" in my "From:" section (Westmoreland/Tioga). I live about 20 miles from the center of Monessen. The "Tioga" is a camp.

However, if you think I am missing something, I am game if you are.

If you live close to Meadow Run, you should give it a visit this time of year. It's a very scenic stream, in the "gorge" section. And the wildflowers are amazing in the spring. Certain places in PA are just choc-a-block with wildflowers. I don't know the reason. It probably has something to do with geology, soil etc. But, anyway, Meadow Run is one of those places.

Yellow Breeches.

When I'm heading north on 34, my car's pointed towards the CV Limestoners!!!

shortrod2 wrote:

I guess you missed the "Westmoreland" in my "From:" section (Westmoreland/Tioga).

Yes, I did miss that, or else I thought it was your pedigree and that now you were in the northwoods. So, anyhow, you aren't missing anything, but both Meadow and Dunbar are nice stocked waters , and with a little hiking, Dunbar has some natives.

dryflyguy wrote:
I wish I lived close to a famous trout stream!

Where's the like button when you need it.

I just want to live close to A trout stream.

wgmiller wrote:
Yellow Breeches.

When I'm heading north on 34, my car's pointed towards the CV Limestoners!!!

That was almost my choice too, but then I remember I did fish it once when a buddy of mine when to Messiah College.

The Lehigh and Clark's are the only relatively close ones that I haven't fished.

Back