Fallfishing

I’ve always enjoyed catching fallfish on the fly. They hit aggressively and put up a pretty solid fight. Watching them smash a popper on top has always been an enjoyable part of my warmwater flyfishing.

AD0CC404 9D6A 4A81 BAE8 F5F865527EF6

Quillback? What did you use? I always wondered how to actually catch one of those without snagging.
I have fouled carp and buffalo but never a quillback . They seem to like prince nymphs and buggers with orange legs .

I'll have to try some nymphs on the river next time I see a school of them!
They chase foxee clousers and buggers on the Ottertail in Minnesota. I really think they like those orange legs I put on both .

Wow, what a tank @Terry Murphy, one for the records for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Quillback? What did you use? I always wondered how to actually catch one of those without snagging.
I've seen decent sized schools in the Susky. I've been told that they eat a nymph under an indi or swung by their nose. So....I made sure I had a nymphing set up on the boat for a couple of months. Never got a chance to cast at one. They would be in the shallow water cruising around like bonefish. By the time you saw them, they were in full panic mode and would scatter in every direction. It would probably be easier to get a letort big brown to eat a popper at night while you wore a strobe light on your hat. Very elusive critters.

With that said, I had a client catch a small one on a tiny popper near Liverpool. I scrambled for the net but it fell off the hook before I could scoop the fish.

I don't think they are great fighters or anything like that but it's a box to check off. I've seen them up to 4-ish pounds which might fight a little more like a carp.

If you figure out a method, share it. I've changed to thinking a 15-20# flathead on a streamer is more attainable goal.

I've seen decent sized schools in the Susky. I've been told that they eat a nymph under an indi or swung by their nose. So....I made sure I had a nymphing set up on the boat for a couple of months. Never got a chance to cast at one. They would be in the shallow water cruising around like bonefish. By the time you saw them, they were in full panic mode and would scatter in every direction. It would probably be easier to get a letort big brown to eat a popper at night while you wore a strobe light on your hat. Very elusive critters.

With that said, I had a client catch a small one on a tiny popper near Liverpool. I scrambled for the net but it fell off the hook before I could scoop the fish.

I don't think they are great fighters or anything like that but it's a box to check off. I've seen them up to 4-ish pounds which might fight a little more like a carp.

If you figure out a method, share it. I've changed to thinking a 15-20# flathead on a streamer is more attainable goal.
lol I bet everything you said is completely accurate! I just want to catch one to say I did it.

lol I bet everything you said is completely accurate! I just want to catch one to say I did it.
Come and fish below Orwell in Fergus Falls in March . I will guarantee some 😃

Attachments

• 1B8C8833-8324-4C26-A233-9825BBEF1D93.jpeg
    1B8C8833-8324-4C26-A233-9825BBEF1D93.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 30
Is that a little beadhead in it's mouth? When they get bigger, do they put up much of a fight?

I just looked up your suggested spot and that is further away than I would drive for life saving treatment! LoL

Is that a little beadhead in it's mouth? When they get bigger, do they put up much of a fight?

I just looked up your suggested spot and that is further away than I would drive for life saving treatment! LoL
The fight is not that impressive but after five months of frozen suck it’s fun . My buddy Doug caught that on some kind of nymph .

For big fall fish my got to pattern is sculpin mop

More bother than I would go through for fallfish. A green weenie works just fine.
Theres usually 3 or 4 other predatory species around when i am fall fishing. The weenie will do well for fall fish but i find a size 8 moo sulpin(essentially a mini fish skull game changer without $2in metal and tungsten parts) gets me more occasionall other predators. Weenies are good for redbreasts though.

Back