Fallfish and trout habitat

Beweav

Beweav

I was fishing today on Spring creek in HBG and found that most of the deeper pools that look like they should hold trout had schools of fallfish in them. There were some nice sized ones and often a ton of small ones. My question is, do fallfish and trout share holes? Should I keep fishing the holes with fallfish in them or am I looking in the wrong spots?

I've done a fair bit of fishing in a large stream that has plenty of both fallfish and wild brown trout. They are often found in the same pool. But the trout tend to be in the parts of the pool with faster moving current, and the fallfish tend to be in the slower parts of the pool.

In my experience they will comingle for sure, just as they do with suckers and even carp, and especially this time of year. I think troutbert's observation is my own, however, even in winter. The trout will be closer to the moving water, especially if they are in an eating mood, which are the ones you want. If dormant in an undercut bank, for example, they may be together but it will only be #chublife that will actually eat your offerings. Move closer to the head or find the deeper, moving water, and you may found the trouts very nearby this time of year.

Sympatry is common, particularly in the downstream stretches occupied by BT in a given stream where temps start to warm a bit as the stream begins to shift from a strictly coldwater stream to a transitional stream. It may also be that if there are no barriers, then the fallfish in such quantity in this case may have moved into the stream from the river as a winter refuge. It is common in tribs along the lower river (and in the Schuylkill) for large numbers spotfin shiners to do this for the winter. Perhaps it is also a habit of fallfish farther upstream. Just a thought.

This all seems like solid info, thanks! Is there ever a time when brown trout get territorial and keep other fish out of its pool or is that not a trout thing?

Trout and fallfish can hold in the same waters. You will find fallfish usually in the slower deeper waters. You can also find trout there. You don't often find the fallfish in the faster more shallow water.

Fallfish often overlap trout in their lies, but don't fall into the thinking that the deepest darkest pools are where the trout should be also. Such spots can be some of the least productive water for trout, particularly if there is poor bottom structure (silt/sand, flat bedrock, etc.) that you may not be able to see.

for me, they share the same holes, bigger fallfish, and trout right on edge of the strongest current, and the smaller trout, fallfish, and suckers in the slower water.

One of my more vivid memories of fishing Gunpowder Falls is taking a 15 inch brown (large for the stream) on a streamer and then on the very next cast taking a 16 inch fallfish from the exact same spot. Clearly, they share habitat.

Glad you said “mountain” tarpon. There are occasionally ladyfish, related to tarpon, found in the Delaware Estuary in Pennsylvania.

Lol I call them PA bone fish. Because the creek where i fish for them the most is all sight fishing in shallow water.

Lol I call them PA bone fish. Because the creek where i fish for them the most is all sight fishing in shallow water.
Suckers are more like bonefish in their shape, but they certainly don't move as fast. Fallfish look more like tarpon, minus the upturned air-breathing-capable mouth.

Yea probably right i like mountain tarpon

Glad you said “mountain” tarpon. There are occasionally ladyfish, related to tarpon, found in the Delaware Estuary in Pennsylvania.
If only "mountain tarpon" jumped like ladyfish...

I call fallfish "natives." After all, those and redbreasts are the only two native fish I generally catch out of the Juniata on the fly rod. But I love just saying "what a beautiful native" when I hoist a large silver fish from the water.

Back