Fall Stripers

Frederick is that a red? Awesome dude! I have always wanted to go down south and catch reds on poppers and crank baits!! What area are you fishing?

Frederick is that a red? Awesome dude! I have always wanted to go down south and catch reds on poppers and crank baits!! What area are you fishing?
Yes, it's a Redfish why not flies?

In the first paragraph the article immediately blames 'climate change' then immiediately says this was common place 100 years ago, which would indicate some type of cyclical pattern playing out. So which one is it? I didnt read the rest after that tbh

In the first paragraph the article immediately blames 'climate change' then immiediately says this was common place 100 years ago, which would indicate some type of cyclical pattern playing out. So which one is it? I didnt read the rest after that tbh
Well, I will help you out with the Cliff's Notes:
"Whether due to warming oceans, habitat restoration, a cyclical phase or a combination of many factors, more and more historically southern species are migrating up to the Northeast."

"Yet, the commercial fishery continues unabated."

But climate change is the problem. What a load of crap. The problem is the commerical fisherman raping the population for their own benefit, as always. Outlaw any commercial fishing for stripers, period. Rod and reel, net, whatever it is, outlaw it now

"Yet, the commercial fishery continues unabated."

But climate change is the problem. What a load of crap. The problem is the commerical fisherman raping the population for their own benefit, as always. Outlaw any commercial fishing for stripers, period. Rod and reel, net, whatever it is, outlaw it now
Perhaps its both that are contributing to the poor spawning years .... along with a lot of other issues such as the fertilizer and sewage runoff into the Chesapeak ??

Perhaps its both that are contributing to the poor spawning years .... along with a lot of other issues such as the fertilizer and sewage runoff into the Chesapeak ??

It certainly could be. But i guarantee commercial over harvest kills em way faster than climate change or fert runoff. Assuming both of those are contributing factors stressing the existing population it only makes a stronger arguement for stopping harvest immediately to help the already distressed population

It certainly could be. But i guarantee commercial over harvest kills em way faster than climate change or fert runoff. Assuming both of those are contributing factors stressing the existing population it only makes a stronger arguement for stopping harvest immediately to help the already distressed population
I think it’s more likely that the recreational sector still removes more striped bass than the commercial sector, and that’s not including C&R delayed mortality. Even with the more protective regs now in place, which started in 2023 under a coast-wide emergency declaration, I believe it would be hard to come close to even equalizing the commercial and recreational “removals” let alone reversing them given that the 2022 data review showed that 90% of the “removals” were by recreational anglers. While I’m hopeful that the present coastal regs have had a positive impact, that’s still a substantial difference to overcome.

I think that the 28-31 inch coastal recreational slot limit and one fish bag limit will reduce harvest, especially as the individual fish from the large 2015 yr class grow through and then exceed the slot range. As of 2023, the females from the 2015 yr class should have averaged 31.5 inches and the 31 inch max length limit of the slot should have then protected (from harvest, not from C&R delayed mortality) 50% of the still living females from 2015. It’s now near the end of 2024 and a much higher percentage of the 2015 fish should have crossed the 31 inch max size limit by now.

I focus on the females when it comes to the coastal regs because most males (some data suggest the vast majority) don’t go to sea and as a result grow quite slowly after about age 4 or 5. Recaptures of tagged stripers in the Pa portion of the Delaware Estuary that are about 21-23” long when tagged, for example, often show annual growth thereafter of only a few millimeters per year.

Last edited:
Hey guys if you are wondering if the schoolies are biting the answer is yes. My buddy and I got 30 fish from 16 to 26”. Most fish over 20”. Fish were caught on clouser and Murdich minnows. Lots of bait around. Good start for the season.

Hey guys if you are wondering if the schoolies are biting the answer is yes. My buddy and I got 30 fish from 16 to 26”. Most fish over 20”. Fish were caught on clouser and Murdich minnows. Lots of bait around. Good start for the season.
Where? Maryland? New Jersey? Raratan Bay?

Back