Fall Streamer Fishing

Lutz

Lutz

Hi everyone,

I just recently created an account here, but have been reading your forums for a year or so. I want to thank you all for your insights, detailed information, entertainment, and humor.

I caught the fly fishing bug hard about 3 years ago, and every year my obsession increases exponentially. It has led me from southeastern PA streams, to central PA where I am now, a senior at Penn State, to Stripers in New England. And with all of these places, it has led me to incredible people. I love all facets of fly fishing, and have spent the last year and a half focusing a lot on improving my nymphing game. Of course, I adapt with the situation at hand to catch fish.

At around mid September though, some experimenting with streamers caused my always present thirst for big browns to almost completely take over. Getting the takes and head shakes from fish I dream about really got me going. A main issue now (or so I thought) was that it would be exceptionally difficult to produce with streamers in low and clear conditions that are typical for this time of year.

The truth was, I just needed to adjust my tactics rather than wait a month or for the next rain to create "ideal" conditions. So, it was slow at first, but I put in my time and located and tested the fish. Then, this past Tuesday, I encountered the game changer. I heard other fly fishers throwing around the phrase "first light streamer bite." So, I applied it to the fish I located. Here in early fall with low and clear stream conditions across central PA, where most fly fishers are telling me the fishing is slow or at least more challenging, I had one of my most productive days on Penns using a streamer. You better believe I was in the water at my first location at first light.

I landed twelve fish and put the tape measure on each one. One 11", one 13", six 15", two 16", and two 17" fish. Getting up early doesn't always agree with my schedule, but holy cow was that worth it!

I had a similar experience, albeit not quite as productive, on the Little J this morning. I am full blown addicted now.

I hope my post finds everyone well.

Lutz

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 5
Nice fish, and welcome to the forum.

Good Job! Streamer fishing is a lot of fun. I really got in to streamers this past year as well. The adrenalin rush when you anticipate the tug on the swing is addicting!

Awesome! Yep, never underestimate streamers in low and clear water this time of year. As you found out first light is the time to be there.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future!

You were addicted long ago bud whether you knew it or not :p

Definitely missing the fall trout fishing up there. Hope you continue to do well! Hopefully we can get out next time I'm up there.

@Sarce...You have stuff in your area guy. If you need more info, I'd be happy to help seeing that I used to live close to where you are now.

Thanks everyone. Don't worry streamerguy there will surely be more to come!

Nice job Lutz - some mighty nice trout there.

Glad you've decided to log on and join the conversation with your crew of online fishing buddies.
DaveW

Great post. Thanks for the reminder. Its always easier to get early to fish than to go to work!!

Welcome to the Jungle!

Nice Pics.....

Here is the conclusion for my Fall report. I didn't reach my goal of getting a wild fish over 20", but luckily a bunch of 17" fish cooperated. I will miss having central PA streams nearby now, but this will force me to learn new waters, and I'll undoubtedly be back to visit.

If anyone needs more nicknames for large trout, Sarce and I came across two authentic ones while in remote central PA this past spring. They were referred to as "mean boys" or "dandies." I think it was the way two gentlemen said it that really hit us though. The minimum size for a fish to be classified as a mean boy or dandy is still up for debate.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.JPG
    IMG_1847.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
Great Post Lutz. I love being able to see my streamer swim and anticipate the hit. For me this is the most exciting reason to fish clear water. I love to see the take of a big brown on a streamer. Addicting is right.

I think the mean boys moniker has more to do with the demeanor of the fish than the size, although there's often a strong correlation to the size. A mean boy brown is the type that you look at and the fish just glares back. It often has a kype and it gives you the feeling that if you were a baitfish, you would be toast. It is a fish that has earned the title of pool boss, because it is a bully. If you are a fish in the pool and you don't leave, instead of being beaten or having your lunch money stolen, you get eaten.

Some nice looking browns you have there. I'd put them in the dandies camp :)

Nice!! Great looking fish. Dandies for sure...

Back