Fall Glass

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

Fall%2BGlass.jpg

This weekend I was able to get the 7' 4/5wt CGR out for some fall fishing. This rod is quickly becoming a favorite. It throws a DT5 Cortland 555 as nice as any rod I've held in it's class. While requiring the timing of glass, this rod lacks noting in performance.

For Full Blog:

Fall Glass Blog

Always heard a lot of good things about that rod. Can't beat the price.

Is glass the new boo?

Some call glass "poor man's bamboo".

I've come to find out that my favorite casting rods are my glass rods. A stroke similar to boo...but lighter in the hand.

is that a nice heddon daisy i see on there?

Yes it is. A 320.

How did your glass fall ? Did it Break when it hit the ground ? Was your Glass half empty or Half Full ? And what was your glass full or half full of ?

It fell while being cast. It didn't break and is always half full. And I in turn am half full of it. :)

My CGR is my absolute favorite rod. I have 7/8 weight. Its the perfect bass rod in my opinion. Love the action.

Attachments

• Awesome_1428852602211.jpg
    Awesome_1428852602211.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4
I 'll have to check. I think it Scientific Angler wf8 magnum bass taper. Not for sure, but I could roll cast a stuffed hamster if I really needed to.

The chewed up olive and white clouser in the pic was about 6" tied on a 2/0 soft plastic high performance bait holder hook with extra large lead eyes. I like the fiberglass feel. Once you get the technique it casts itself.

i have shied away from the CGR,because i like full fiberglass rods,and the CGR has a graphite scrim. i am not really a graphite fan.

BUT,you guys have me thinking,it might be worth trying this rod!

shakey wrote:
i have shied away from the CGR,because i like full fiberglass rods,and the CGR has a graphite scrim. i am not really a graphite fan.

BUT,you guys have me thinking,it might be worth trying this rod!

They're 1/2 price now!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-cgr-fiberglass-fly-rod/1873450.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcgr%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=cgr

The way I understood it, the CGT was a blend, but the CAR wasn't?

Yes it was the red blanks, CGT or whatever it was, that had some graphite. The CGR is pure glass. It is the same blank as the green 50th anniversary rods they came out w/ a few years back.

The red blanks are stiff and fast and I hated it when I fished w/ it. I had slower graphite in the same weight and length. No point in having a glass rod at that action. The new(old) rods are a different story. You'd like them, Shakey.

After years of casting graphite, I went back to my glass rod that was my first fly rod, and even though I tried really hard to cast it, it didn't cast well at all, so I will never use it again. That doesn't mean that new glass rods should be pooh poohed, I just won't use them.

If you buy a glass rod, you may want to try this (hope the link works):

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53072

Shakey, I'm pretty sure the new Cgr's are all glass. If I ever make it to another Jam, I will bring it for you to try out.

Back