Fall Finger lakes Vacation.

LongWader

LongWader

I am planning a late Fall fishing vacation to the Finger Lakes. Most of the info available in on the Spring Run rainbow fishing in the tribs. and the lake fishing, however I am most interested in fishing the tribs. in the Fall possible the end of October or November.
Any and all suggestions for possible tributaries to check out and base camp locations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

There should be tons of info on runs of landlocks and browns. Also some good general stream / river trout fishing in that area. If I find a link or two, I'll PM it to ya.

I used to live in the area. The little fall trib fishing I did was in Keuka outlet where it flows into Seneca lake. Large browns and some small rainbows that lived in the creek. Egg patterns were best.

Thanks Guys.

I was also thinking of maybe Naples, and Catherine.

Lake trout out of salmon creek. Thats a trib to cayuga lake on the eastern shoreline. They say the fish will run the tribs after a rainstorm. This was true fir this laker and a few small rainbows for the day. I fished from the lake, theres a railroad tressle there, upstream about a half mile. Smelt streamer patterns are good. An olive zonkef with a red belly took the bows and a cranefly larvae took the laker. Its a cool place to fish plus the chance at a lanlocked salmon and browbs exists....so good luck if in the cayuga area. Also fall creek in Ithaca is another good location. Ive done well below the fallls for trout.

Attachments

• 1022131337.jpg
    1022131337.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4
I was thinking of the crane fly meatball flies as well as some grey, green, and black ghosts. Some large olive buggers and prince nymphs will also be in the fly box.

There is good and bad news about fall trib fishing in the Finger Lakes IMHO. The salmon can run roughly in October and the browns in November (salmon run earlier than browns). I caught an 8 lbs male Landlocked Salmon in Fall Ck in Oct 2009, which at the time was my biggest LLS. Rainbows and less commonly lakers run in and out of the tribs as well when the water cools - lakes get to 50F more or less in Nov sometime. I have had best incidental fly fishing when lake drops to 50F and the salmonids move into shallower water to feed. The streams are often in gorges that are beautiful in the fall, plus I generally like to visit the Finger Lakes. If the fishing is off I can find plenty to do. The fall runs in the Salmon R have taken much of the pressure off the Finger Lakes runs, so you have more space. I am a fan of the Finger Lakes.

The bad news is that the streams and the runs are small and can be difficult to predict. The fish also seem to move and out quickly. In a drought fall there can be essentially no trib fishery and there are big year - year swings in the runs. While the LLS are supposed to run in October and the browns in November, they run when conditions are right so there is plenty of variation in the timing of the run. Therefore, I never make long range plans to fish the Finger Lake tribs and go up when conditions are right. I am retired and can do that. A rise of water will cause fish to move in and a few days afterwards as the levels drop is the time to go. There is a USGS station for Fall Ck in Ithaca: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?site_no=04234000 that gives a good idea of what is happening. While the fishing is up and down, when a pod of fresh salmon are in a pool in front of you all is right with the world.

All sorts of trib tactics work and most anything that works in the Great Lakes tribs will work in the Finger lakes tribs as well. Buggers, swung wets, nymphs, and egg patterns all do the trick. Use a tribs tactic you are comfortable with. The one local tactic is to swing olive buggers or streamers in front of fish. The Finger Lakes tribs have spawning runs of smallmouth and they are filled with aggressive YOY smallies in the fall. The local theory is that these juvenile smallmouth annoy the spawning salmonids and they take swipes at them to protect their redds. The 8 lbs LLS I caught fell to a swung olive wool head sculpin.

There is also a small group of people who like to swing classic Atlantic salmon flies for LLS to get the full old school experience.

I have heard BS over the decades that the Finger Lakes tribs fish aren't spooky and you can walk right up to them. In my experience the people who catch more than their fair share do a lot of recon and stalk the fish very carefully.

JeffK,
Some great info here - thanks for taking the time to write this up for us.
DaveW

Jeff, Thanks for the detailed info on the tribs and the region. I will take you advice to heart and do the best I can. I have yet to determine a place to stay and the major challenge will be determining which Finger Lakes area to try first. I will keep an eye on the flows and water temps. as per your suggestions.

Many thanks to everyone for the help and information.

Jay

Back