f-fishing outfits for youths

My 8 yr old daughter has the yellow Eagle claw 7'6" with a flea market reel and crappy line...but she casts it well for what it is....total

I bought my son a Redington "Red Fly" 7 1/2' 4 weight when they were discontinued and got it for 1/2 price. I paired it with a Ross "Flycast" (the old style with the small arbor) when it was discontinued for 1/2 price at $30. With the Cortland Pro line the entire outfit run me about $110 or $115. Keep your eye out for models no longer made and pick one up at a good price. ;-)

I’m fortunate to make my own (when I get time); I built my little guy (6 years old) a one piece 5’3” 5wt quad for him to play with and cast in the yard. I decided on a 5 wt and length because I wanted him to feel the rod loading. He does okay, but he needs a lot more time and it will come. I put a $10.00 Jane’s cork reel seat and handle combo on the rod and darkened the ring. It turned out nice it will last a lifetime with no unfortunate accidents.

Joe E

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We are going to make a trip this Sat. He's going to use my gear for the first trip. I'm going to wet wade so he can wear my waders and stay dry. What a good uncle. Hopefully the creek is good to us and he gets a few. I'll post a fishing report and maybe some pics of a kid wearing waders with boots that are waaaay to big for him. LOL

Back