Exploring Odonata

JG63

JG63

All, I have NO Dragonfly or Damselfly nymphs in my boxes. I'm going to change that and try some this year in both streams and lakes. I'm expecting to use a full sinker on lakes and fish with a twitching type retrieve over submerged vegetation while expecting a "Hammer of Thor" type strike. Is this a fair assumption? Please share your experiences and or tips on fishing these imitations in both streams and lakes.
Thanks, JG

For dragonfly nymphs, try tying them with black bead chain or lead colored small dumbbell weights and a mix of fur dub body and marabou - they're fat and leggy critters.
In my experience, LM bass really respond well to nymphs and I think it is due to focus on dragonfly nymphs in so many ponds and lakes where weedy vegetation is prevalent. The strikes are, however, often subtle. A strike indicator system helps, which is why I actually prefer a[d] sinking [/d]line. I don't typically fish these nymphs in deep water (although I'd guess they would work deep too).

EDIT: Oops, meant to say I prefer a floating line.

Dave - I'm guessing olive or natural Hares mask dubbing with olive or brown marabou? What about damsel nymphs? I have some extended "wiggle" bodies that I may try. Looking to target Marburg, Holman, Opossum, Memorial, and maybe Conewago (Pinchot)

JG63 wrote:
Dave - I'm guessing olive or natural Hares mask dubbing with olive or brown marabou?

Yep, something like this. They're thick bodied nymphs and lack long tails.
Damselfly nymphs are similar shape, but slender.
For the lakes you mention, I like a hopper dropper system utilizing a big foam dry fly and a weighted nymph about 2' under the fly - deadly over submerged weed beds or around blowdowns. The nymph gets more fish but the surface strikes by bluegills on the dry fly are certainly more fun (often the hits on dries are misses).
Prime time is the next couple months.

When I was in graduate school my dissertation research involved Largemouth in a new impoundment in Clarion and Venango Co, specifically Kahle Lake. Prior to reaching a size or forage fish abundance at which there was a switch to fish as a primary forage item, the bass were largely consuming Odinates, specifically dragonfly nymphs. While they do not play as important of a role for adult fish, I doubt that the opportunistic adults would pass them up when a nymph blunders out into the open...as in the presentation of a good likeness.

Back