Excuses to fish

Bruno

Bruno

So I am sure many of you have been confronted with the school form that allows your children to be excused from school for a few days.

School - "What is the educational purpose of your trip ?"

ME - "We will be studying the spawning biology of Oncorhynchus tshawytscha an collecting samples."

Will it fly ?

Bruno wrote:
So I am sure many of you have been confronted with the school form that allows your children to be excused from school for a few days.

School - "What is the educational purpose of your trip ?"

ME - "We will be studying the spawning biology of Oncorhynchus tshawytscha an collecting samples."

Will it fly ?

I like that, but you might want to try a more indirect approach. For example...

Spending quality time with his or her father while studying nature.

Might work except during hunting season. Trust me on that.

I mean, it was OK for some kids to take time off to go to Disney World and lie about it, but somehow it was illegal for me to take time off to hunt with my father.

But we were honest, and apparently two illegal absences a year wasn't enough to keep me out of college.

Anyway, for your form, add something about climate change, and you should be golden. LOL!

Family obligation. My kids are second grade and kindergarten so I'm new to this stuff. But if one of the administrators ever asked for more details I would tell them because I said so.

Just lie and say your kid was sick.

I agree with the above. Teaching your kid to lie is one of the fundamental tenants of fishing. The other that comes to mind is opening a bottle of beer with a cigarette lighter.

Good stuff. Catch a bunch!

my dad used to pull me from school to go skiing, and that was my excuse, I went skiing. nobody ever questioned it.
I guess it's a different world today.

I sure can't help. I always said school comes first.

Just write that it's personal family business. If they press the issue ask for the Principal or Superintendents phone number and mention that you have the local school board members number so you wont need that.
When I was an AP I'd get request for kids to miss school for vacations.etc. I just followed the policy Guide lines and wrote the kids a note to get makeup homework from the teachers and told the kids to have fun and make sure the work was done and handed in on their return. Also to make up any missed tests. If nothing was done they collected "0's" .
My granddaughter is in a Fundamental school with strict attendance policies so getting her off is nearly impossible unless she is sick or a major catastrophe happens.
Let me know if this worked Bruno. GG

Haha, funny. I'm taking off this friday to hunt and fish a creek and lake over the weekend. My parents usually write a note saying I had a fever and "stomach trouble" and you hand it in to the office on the next school day. If you do it too often you need a doctor's note, but I only take off one or two days a year. Pretty much any kind of excuse will work.

Sampling the species was a success

Sound's like he has a type of fever to me. You'd hate for the entire school to catch it. When I was growing up, If my grades were good I was always allowed to miss a day or 2 for deer season and maybe a day for bear or turkey season. I can't remember much about school but I can still vividly remember some of those deer camp trips.

Someone once fishing Spring Creek wrote for his job excuse: "I have an appointment with Dr. Spring in State College today," which really wasn't much of a lie.

Albatross put my kid on this fish - he is a great guy and a good friend. Kids had a ball.

Attachments

• Atlantic 2.png
    Atlantic 2.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 2
Bruno's kids were great. They were excited about catching one of these monsters and worked hard at it.

The fish above was the first salmon Bruno's son had ever hooked (he has caught a couple Erie steelhead). He landed it! I was stunned. I broke off the first several salmon I hooked and I think most folks do break off the first few.

ryansheehan wrote:
Family obligation. My kids are second grade and kindergarten so I'm new to this stuff. But if one of the administrators ever asked for more details I would tell them because I said so.

Exactly!

Now that's a good reason to miss school. I need to sign on for that trip. GG

The benefits of home schooling, gents. I simply tell the teacher (My wife) that today biology class will be held stream-side!

Whoa just saw the picture of Bruno's offspring w/ Alby. Nicely done!

Back