Evolution of nymphing

Tigereye

Tigereye

I notice now that it is chic to use streamlined, slim Czech style ties compared to the classic impressionistic and fuzzy nymphs such as hares ears, muskrat, fox squirrels etc.

Now I must admit I too use the frenchy, rainbow warrior, and iron lotus as some of my go too flies and feel they are more consistent fish catchers than some older classics as listed above.

While I dabble with Czech style I still revert back to high stick indicator nymphing but find myself turning to the "newer" style nymphs. The fuzzy nymphs have "movement" and impression of life to them, but to me flies like the lotus and the warrior just seem to be more " buggy"

No right or wrong here, whatever catches fish for you and you have confidence with is all good. Just seems that fly styles are changing/evolving. Once we beat this to death I will start a topic on the fall of the Catskill style. LOL

With the advent of the mop fly I'd say anything goes.

Since krayfish taught me how to fish the green weenie I use nothing else. :-D

The Frenchie is just a variation of the pheasant tail nymph.

The PT nymph has been around for quite a while. According to the pheasant tail nymph Wikipedia entry (yes, it has one!) Frank Sawyer published the pheasant tail pattern in a book in 1958.

And very likely he developed it some years before that.

I guess we all have different ideas of what "newer" is. To me, using an indicator is "newer". Using a bead head is "newer".

Even the American style of pheasant tail (with a herl thorax and legs) is "newer".

If I can remember when it was introduced, it's "newer". If I can't it's "classic".

I don't have anything against "newer" (including Euro-nymphing), but it always surprises me to see what people consider traditional versus newer.

I must admit I'm al bit confused by what you mean as "newer" style nymphs. Can the OP - or someone- clarify for me/us?

To be frank, I've never tied or used a Frenchie or other Euro-style nymph pattern. I've always fished the nymphs I prefer to tie. I"ll admit to experimenting a bit even with my patterns to attempt to improve them. Somehow I, with great difficulty, have to admit I have a hard time recognizing any improvement it their effectiveness.

In response to Lefty......by older style nymphs I mean those where the tyer tried to impart movement to the fly. Soft hackles flymphs etc.

The trend now seems to be away from that. I admit that the PT is classic and a very good one at that. It's success may very well be what spawned the latest trend, as Troutbert implies.

I have a book called "Fishing the Nymph" by Jim Quick, which was published in 1960.

Many of the patterns in there are pretty simple and streamlined. Many use quill bodies, such as stripped peacock quill and stripped hackle quills for the rear part of the body.

And many used floss bodies. And some used raffia.

There is some dubbing for the thorax on most (not all) of these patterns, but still many of these are quite streamlined patterns, not fuzzy.

Some of Skues' nymphs had floss bodies and were stream-lined patterns. He was basically the founder of nymph fishing, so probably many of these patterns were influenced by him.

There are several caddis larvae patterns and those are simple, streamlined worm patterns. Much like many present day "Euro nymphs."

In the old Herters catalogs they used to sell "celluloid floss." I've never used it, but as I understand the idea, you'd wrap that floss on for the body. Then brush on some liquid which turned the floss into a sort of hard shell plastic-ish looking body.

I think the time period for that was probably 50s and 60s or so?

There were fuzzy dubbed nymphs going way back also. The Hare's ear being the classic example. But I think the streamlined patterns go right back to the beginning of nymph fishing, i.e. to Skues.

I've mentioned this on here before as well, streamlined flies work very well. A frenchie with just a thread collar, perdigons, zebra midges, etc. Probobly has more to do with sink rate than anything, If you get any fly that comes close to looking like a bug in a trouts face you got a good chance of catching it.
Everything has there place and time, soft hackles, buggy hares ears, and streamlined flies all have there place and time to be fished, nothing takes the place of the other

Back