Euro nymphing fly line

lonekimono

lonekimono

When Euro nymphing what type of fly line should be used? Do most of you use a regular fly line? With a longer leader? Or does anyone prefer to use a Euro nymphing fly line?

For most of my euro fishing I actually use a very short leader in euro nymphing terms. I like to handle fly line so I use the cortland level .22 lines. I have one that is braid core and one mono core that I use. The shorter leader allows me to get the fly line in my hand quicker. Also consider most PA streams don't really require long 20+' euro leaders. A lot of this is personal preference.

If you really didn't want to deal with buying a euro line, you could go with a mono rig and load up an extra long butt section and fish that way. Lots of options and opinions on the topic.

Re: Leader length limit
2017/4/22
Dave_W

Here in PA, waters managed as Fly Fishing Only have a leader length limit of either 17' or 18 feet.

Just a reminder for if you are euro nymphing.

GeneBeam wrote:
2017/4/22
Dave_W

Here in PA, waters managed as Fly Fishing Only have a leader length limit of either 17' or 18 feet.

I think they changed that regulation. https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/catchreleaseffo.html

I use a normal wf line, but it never leaves my reel. I have about 25ft of 10lb test I use as my line, then I attached about 6ft of 2x sighter. At the end of that a tippet ring, and then how ever much of whatever tippet you one. I just started playing around with this setup this year and have been impressed. I know some guys use heavy stiff mono for the leader, but I found I like the flexibility of the 10lb.

kobalt335 wrote:
GeneBeam wrote:
2017/4/22
Dave_W

I think they changed that regulation. https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/catchreleaseffo.html

I use a normal wf line, but it never leaves my reel. I have about 25ft of 10lb test I use as my line, then I attached about 6ft of 2x sighter. At the end of that a tippet ring, and then how ever much of whatever tippet you one. I just started playing around with this setup this year and have been impressed. I know some guys use heavy stiff mono for the leader, but I found I like the flexibility of the 10lb.

You are correct they recently changed that regulation. My non-traditional euro leader is ~2-5' of 12lb maxima to a .010 9lb sighter material. I use cortland indicator mono so a yellow section, red section then a white section to a tippet ring and then what ever tippet is needed. I like this setup but many people use a much longer butt section and shorter sighter section.

How do you cast the flies with no fly line? Do you just use the current and cast when the flies are tight downstream? Do overhanging branches make casting difficult? Do you need room behind you to be able to cast?

Millsertime wrote:
How do you cast the flies with no fly line? Do you just use the current and cast when the flies are tight downstream? Do overhanging branches make casting difficult? Do you need room behind you to be able to cast?

It's honestly just a pick up and throw. I need no room behind me, and I can generally get underneath overhanging branches. Keep in mind when euro nymphing, you are on the bottom so you have a decent amount of weight you can just kind of lob it. I'm also never that far from the tip of the rod. I am almost always nymphing under 20ft away, more often than not it's right under my rod tip.

Millsertime wrote:

I've gotten way into the euro nymphing techniques. Along with that came the specialized rods and fly lines. Good euro rods are able to load under their own weight. This is a departure from typical fly rods that rely on the WF line to load the rod. With the right leader formula we are able to get dries to still cast and turn over at reasonable ranges. In the case of dry dropper and or weighted nymphs we can cast a bit farther . There are some different casting techniques used in euro nymphing that would probably make some people kringe but they work with the euro leader and weighted nymphs. That said most of my nymphing happens within 30-35' of me.

When using weighted nymphs I dont need room for a back cast or overhead clearance. Bow and arrow casts, water load casts and lob casts are all possible with little to no clearance. I'll fish a 10-11' rod in places that most people would be using an 8"6" or shorter with wff lines.

Back