Euro Leader

B

boffshack

Not sure if this was dicussed yet:

Recently got a euro rod (10' wt) and it came with a RIO euro line already on it. Do I need to make separate mono rigs to use this or could I just do leader/tippet from the fly line? Might just buy floating line so I can fish dries if I want to as well.

What are your typical euro setups? From backing to leader? I see everyone talking about mono rigs but not much about the line under the rigs.

There are a couple ways you can go. You can modify a tapered leader by adding sighter material as demonstrated below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_WEfxYBe8

You can build your own. Mine consist of 12” of 20# blue Stren, 8” of 10” gold Stren, 24” sighted material ending in a tippet ring. Next attach a tippet and droppers.

I use the following setup for mono rigging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itFgq3B0BEI&t=210s

Lots of discussions regarding euro fly line vs Wf or DT lines. I’ve never tried using a euro line so I cannot advise you whether they make a difference or are just another promotional item to catch the fly fisherman’s eye.

you don't need line under the rig. A euro is all mono. Never need line. Backing is good enough. See fly line out and your not euro.

30 foot leaders are common. Maybe more. If i was really into it, off he fly reel and on a spinning reel. No question now to leader length! Full spool of mono, just like everybody else. "Boss i am just fishing".$200,00 dollars to $$30 dollars! Guess i can get Bobby that new baseball glove with what i saved!

Can't believe all the lies you fell for. Old boy's been fishing spinning set ups for years and years, Why the hell do you think the torpedo bobber came out and try to find some!

Wets, drys and droppers deadly! Cast all the way across the creek to the spots you never reached!

boffshack wrote:
What are your typical euro setups? From backing to leader?

I use a floating running line w/ a long leader.

Some guys think you need a leader long enough that you never have fly line off the reel. I disagree and find the floating running line easier to manage and less troublesome than a super long leader or an all-mono setup.

You can get a small diameter floating running line (just a thin level fly line) for less than $10 off ebay or amazon. The line doesn't really need be anything to sophisticated or expensive. You definitely do not need one of the "euro" fly lines.

My leader is usually approx 18' with a multi color sighter (3' of white, 18"orange, 18" yellow). The balance of the leader is maxima chameleon, usually 8 or 10lb with a couple short pieces of heavier material at the butt to create a transition to the main line. I've been rethinking this though as the knots between the heavy mono sections catch in the guides if you bring the leader in past the rod tip. A needle knot or super glue splice works well on the line to leader connection. I use tippet rings on the either end of the sighter to create a sort of modular leader.

The leader is really where the rubber meets the road so to speak. Don't be afraid to tinker with it until it works the way you need it too.

by maxima12 on 2021/12/31 1:20:14

you don't need line under the rig. A euro is all mono. Never need line. Backing is good enough. See fly line out and your not euro.

30 foot leaders are common. Maybe more. If i was really into it, off he fly reel and on a spinning reel. No question now to leader length! Full spool of mono, just like everybody else. "Boss i am just fishing".$200,00 dollars to $$30 dollars! Guess i can get Bobby that new baseball glove with what i saved!

Can't believe all the lies you fell for. Old boy's been fishing spinning set ups for years and years, Why the hell do you think the torpedo bobber came out and try to find some!

Wets, drys and droppers deadly! Cast all the way across the creek to the spots you never reached!

Kina like what the centrepin out fits are using. Reel just holds mono.
Long wimpy rod and a lot of mono with a glass bobber with small bait or flies under it.

The advantage of a euro line or mono rig is better contact with your flies. The heavier weight and thicker diameter of a WF or DT line will cause sag both in between your rod guides as well as from your rod tip to the flies in the water. Most of the Euro setups I put together are mono rig with 25-40 feet of line eventually to a swivel or tippet ring. Never use a tapered leader for euro nymphing. Different drag on different diameters of the line causes a mess in terms of trying to be drag free. Get as light as you can on your tippet as well as your leader as they will drag less and help get better presentations. There's 1000's of sighter materials out there now in all colors under the sun. Try a few out and you may even have preferences on what the weather is that day to what color sighter you use. Test a few things out and see what works for you.

I go back and forth setting up one 10' softer action rod that can do either dries or nymphs OK, or bringing 2 rods: a 10 1/2' euronymph rod with a long mono rig and a dry fly outfit, either a 7' 4wt or a 9' 5 wt depending on size of stream/bugs.

In Option 1 I only need one rod with a DT line and tapered leader that I lengthen when nymphing and shorten when dry fly fishing. A longer rod really works well in pocket water with dries to keep line off the water in complex currents. Option 1 also may do just as well with indicator fishing which in some cases does better than euronymphing.

I go more with option 2 now. A specialized 10 1/2 to 11' rod with Euro rig has better contact with nymphs and is fun to fish with. Can't throw indicators as far sometimes though. Mono rig is terrible to fish dries with IMHO, so go with a second rod rigged for dries. Two rods are more trouble to carry, so less likely to do this for a long hike, but one advantage is that the dry rod can be rigged so that you are ready to go right when a hatch starts. With the single rod approach need to take off any weights and nymphs, adjust the tippet, and tie on the dry when the hatch starts. That takes me longer and longer these days. This is especially important for hatches at dusk where the low light slows down my tying even more or tying on tiny olive or midge dries in the winter with cold hands.

For a Euronymph line I have started using a beat up WF line backwards so the running line section is the line. Is a good use for old lines and saves the bucks on a new line.

Back