Esopus Creek and Woodland Valley Creek

S

surveyor06

I will be camping this weekend in the Catskills this weekend with my wife and friends. Does anyone have experience with the either of these creeks. Probably wont have time to check out any other. We will be camping downstream of the portal if that helps. Thanks.

Never fished it but I can highly recommend the Peekamoose up toward pine hill if ya want a classy drink or dinner ha. Good luck, that's a beautiful area up there.

Fishing below the portal....muddy 360 days a year. You can still fish it with decent results. Lots of nymphing water. Toss around an iso or stone nymph and you'll catch lots of little rainbows. There are some decent fish but not many. Above the portal, crystal clear. Brooks and browns. It's fairly small up there too.

When you say muddy, are we talking really brown? Any experience with Woodland Valley Creek, I will be camping there.

Woodland Valley Ck is a small brookie stream. Can be a little tough when the water is low and clear, fish can go nuts with a little color. It has a major state campground on it so it gets plenty of fishing pressure near the campground.

NYS tried to clean up the muddy water, but it didn't work. The Portal is part of the NYC water system. It takes water from the north flowing Schoharie system and feeds the Esopus which goes into Ashoken Reservoir, which is a major holding reservoir for Catskill water. The water comes from near the bottom of Schoharie reservoir, so the Portal forms a sort of tailwater. The soils of the Schoharie drainage have a lot of red clay which settles in the Schoharie Res and then get shuttled to the Esopus through the Portal. The reservoir was drained and the inlet raised a little to keep it out of the mud, but it didn't work very well. Hurricane Irene did enormous damage to the Schoharie drainage and huge quantities of sediment went back into the reservoir.

Esopus used to be among the most popular Catskill rivers. Not so much now, but still plenty of fish to catch

Andy,

Muddy means 12-18" of visibility. It used to be a pretty famous / popular place. I think it's got the same strain of bows you'll find in the Delaware. It's filled with "dinks" (7-10") that will be happy to eat whatever you run by their face. Hiding among the dunks there are some fish in the 14-19" range. At this time of year, you should find the bigger fish to be browns and the little ones to be bows. In the fall, you get some big boys fom the lake running up to spawn.

krayfish and JeffK,

Thanks for the info. This is more of a camping trip and less of a fishing trip, so if I get into a few fish that would be cool by me. I havn't caught wild bows before, so I would be thrilled to catch "dinks" all day. I tied a bunch if Cahills, but I guess I wont be needing them. I just hope the stream conditions are favorable when I get up there. I dont see a white water release scheduled so I think I should be good. Thanks again

FYI, that river really blows out during heavy rains. Looking at the current radar, it's a possibility. If you are fishing the dirty water, you still may be able to connect on top with big stuff (stimulator, iso or wolf in #8-12 range).

Back