Erie Steelhead

fishingnoob

fishingnoob

Hey guys...so since I've joined this site I've done a lot of fishing...learned a lot...and caught a lot of good fish...I really want to try my luck on some chrome....but I don't know if my rod can handle it....I have a 9ft 6#....some have said that its too low and wouldn't handle it...others have said its low but I should be ok....I really don't have the funds to invest in another rod...I really want to try steelies....but I don't want to risk damage or waste my time knowing that its a fail from the get go....so some feedback is needed...thanks guys

Yeah, a 6wt is light, but it is still doable and I've done it a bunch of times. Last weekend I got a decent really fresh fish on the 6wt it the rod handled the fish fine. A 7 or 8wt is bettter, but since your just starting out for steel I wouldn't worry about it because you might not really get into it, although I think you will. There's nothing better than hooking into a fresh fish with all the drag busting runs and acrobatics!

Believe it or not I've seen guys fish with rod that look like 5wts and less.....but I definitely wouldn't suggest doing that.

I eventually got a 7 weight for Erie, but made it several years with a 6 weight no problem. It will tire your arm out if you fight a handful of fish, but being new that will not be likely to occur. Mkae sure you like the experience before investing in a 7 weight, unless, of course, you expect to be able to use it for bass or musky fishing as well.

JackM wrote:
I eventually got a 7 weight for Erie, but made it several years with a 6 weight no problem. It will tire your arm out if you fight a handful of fish, but being new that will not be likely to occur. Mkae sure you like the experience before investing in a 7 weight, unless, of course, you expect to be able to use it for bass or musky fishing as well.

Jack, good advice on the steelhead. I think you may have shot a little low on the musky fishing though. :lol:

You should be fine. I learned to catch steelies on a 6-wt and still use it a fair amount. I interchange between my 6-wt & 8-wt that I use for bass. Just recently purchase a switch rod to try on steelies, but that's a whole different discussion.

Get out there & give it a try with the 6-wt, you won't be disappointed! Tight lines!

I fished all last year with a 5wt. What tippet do you expect to fish? If you think about it, if you are fishing 5x or 4x(it is always super low and clear when i fish there) then 4-6lb line is certainly going to break before a 5wt. Line weight is more about what you are casting, you arent going to break a rod up there, unless something dumb happens(car door, line wraps around your rod tip while landing the fish etc.)

Final opinion: 6wt rod is a fine choice, go fishing.

I also used a 5 weight up there for several years before finally investing in a 7 weight.
It certainly wasn't the best tool for the job - but it worked

whomever told you a 6 wt is too little rod shouldn't be giving you advice. learn how to employ side pressure and fight fish out of the current.. turn their heads and tire them out.

6 wt is fine. I have a 7 wt, which is about perfect, IMO. But on a number of occasions I've taken friends who were new to steelhead, handed them the 7 wt, and used my 5 wt. Works just fine.

6wt is by far my favorite when it comes to chrome. I fish a 6wt 10' almost exclusively for Steelhead. Anybody can horse a Steelhead in with an 8wt which I feel takes a lot of the fun out of it. Only downside (if you want to call it that) is that you need to apply just a tad more pressure with your initial hookset. Try the Rio indicator line in line size 7 if you are fishing a 6wt.

I also have a 10' 7wt, and I fish it alot, but the 5wt is sort of fun up there. I enjoy chasing fish with lighter tackle, and you really feel their runs through a 5wt! The fighting butt is pretty nice to have, because fighting a few fresh ones on a 5wt buttless rod will give your dominant forearm a heck of a workout.

I see you guys mention a fighting butt and looked up some online...but I'm lost on the purpose it serves....I might invest in one if it'll help...just want to know what its used for...I'm guessing its used as an extra grip to make it easier to haul in fish

Fighting butt is used for leverage. Most guys put the butt into their stomach area acts as a folcrum saves your forearm during longer fights.

nice...thanks love2fish...I might invest in one for chrome's

your 6 is perfect. if i could i could have different rods for different creeks/applications but all i got is my sage 9' 6wt. i use it for everything...
smallies on the susky
steel in erie
carp where ever
trout where ever
panfish and bass on ponds
i even landed a chinook on the salmon river on 6lb test
4 lb test on your 6wt up at follies on the elk...i wish i was there.

thanks mutz...its funny you mention it cause I also have a sage 9' 6wt

Agreed! And the other nice thing about a fighting butt is that you can set the butt of the rod on the ground while rigging and not have to worry about scratching the normal end caps. They are super durable!

Back