Erie Brown Trout?

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Any new news on this? Is this program still underway?

A few years ago the PFBC started stocking BT fingerlings in the tribs and there were reports of some decent fish being caught. However, several years have elapsed and large fish in proportionate numbers ought to be showing up by now. I'm not an Erie regular, have lost touch with this story, and am curious.

Has anyone seen or caught migratory BTs in the tribs lately. Pics?

In ten years of fishing three Erie streams I have caught a total of three brown trout. No really big fish, all 22" - 24".

I've seen a few, but nothing huge.

Last year, I probably saw as many pinks as brown trout, but they were all at the same spot. ;-)

Other than a brief spate of moderate size returning browns (14-18") when they first revived the programs, I've not heard of all that many being caught in the tribs. Of the ones that I have known of being caught, the majority were taken by the charter/downrigger guys.

It may be that the thing is going to fizzle out again (this would be the third time by my count..).

The Lake in general was weird this year, or so I understand (I only fish it a couple times a year). This has probably been the best walleye year in recent memory but the perch have been difficult and in some cases, all but absent.

Who knows why any of this is the way it is? It's a Great Lake. A huge and very complex system with a lot of variables.

RLeep2 wrote:
Other than a brief spate of moderate size returning browns (14-18") when they first revived the programs, I've not heard of all that many being caught in the tribs. Of the ones that I have known of being caught, the majority were taken by the charter/downrigger guys.

It may be that the thing is going to fizzle out again (this would be the third time by my count..).

The Lake in general was weird this year, or so I understand (I only fish it a couple times a year). This has probably been the best walleye year in recent memory but the perch have been difficult and in some cases, all but absent.

Who knows why any of this is the way it is? It's a Great Lake. A huge and very complex system with a lot of variables.

maybe the walleyes ate the perch.

I didn't fish Erie at all in 2017 but in 2016 there were a ton of pink salmon in Walnut and they were easy to catch but didn't fight very much at all.

I've caught browns in the catt and another NY erie trib the past 3 or 4 years. All were 6# or more.

Well, I'm not super versed in the subject, but with that being said. I went to College in Meadville and fished the tribs regularly for about 3 years and never caught a brown. Over the last two years, I have made about two trips a year and caught 3. Last November, I took a trip and landed 17 steelhead and 2 browns. I do not know if that was luck or an uptick in brown trout based on the recent stockings. Just and observation.

Between my group of friends and myself I'd say we've caught 1 brown for every 50 to 60 steelhead. I haven't visually seen the same ratios (maybe 400 to 1) in the streams and account that to the browns being easier to catch or more eager to eat. They have ranged from 15 inches to 24 or 25 inches. I like the excitement of catching the odd brown but honestly the steelhead fight better.

I have caught a brown or two on most of the erie tribs, but no doubt, if you want the highest chance, give the NY Lake Erie tribs a shot. They seem to get a more consistent run.

I believe they still have a stocking program for them there, although I don't think its as many as back 8 or 10 years ago.

Back in the 2005-2007 seasons, we did very well for browns on those tribs. Most fish were 21" to 24", but we did get 3 that were 10 pounds plus.

If anyone would like to see some serious brown trout catches go to YouTube and look up "Bill and Mike's Angling Adventures". This is a father and son team who seem to be able to catch steelhead out of a puddle. Now you won't be seeing any fly fishing as these guys use noodle rods and either spawn sacks, beads, or jigs but they are very, very good. I like them firstly because you can see how much Bill, the father, loves to be out with his son Mike. Secondly they never, ever, keep a steelhead. I think they keep an occasional brown or king so they can get the eggs to make up spawn sacks. They have dozens of videos. Most don't reveal where they are but some have bridges or other landmarks and with Google Earth I have found many of the places they fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-WqEySHYE&t=879s

wbranch wrote:
If anyone would like to see some serious brown trout catches go to YouTube and look up "Bill and Mike's Angling Adventures". This is a father and son team who seem to be able to catch steelhead out of a puddle. Now you won't be seeing any fly fishing as these guys use noodle rods and either spawn sacks, beads, or jigs but they are very, very good. I like them firstly because you can see how much Bill, the father, loves to be out with his son Mike. Secondly they never, ever, keep a steelhead. I think they keep an occasional brown or king so they can get the eggs to make up spawn sacks. They have dozens of videos. Most don't reveal where they are but some have bridges or other landmarks and with Google Earth I have found many of the places they fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-WqEySHYE&t=879s

I'm not being critical of the video, and saw absolutely nothing wrong with their methods. They did seem to overestimate weights, but what fisherman doesn't.;-)

But...

I hope the puddle comment was sarcasm, because It's supper easy to floss steelhead in puddles. ;-)

Farmer Dave wrote;

and saw absolutely nothing wrong with their methods. They did seem to overestimate weights, but what fisherman doesn't.

Did it appear I found something wrong with their methods in my post? I often spin for steelhead on big water like the Cattaraugus and wouldn't be ashamed to say I have no qualms in drifting single eggs and spawn sacks under a float.

I hope the puddle comment was sarcasm, because It's supper easy to floss steelhead in puddles

Hmm, what do you think?

I wish I was half as good as this father and son team. They live in the area and likely pick days when they feel there is a good likelihood of success. Even though the videos are rarely longer than 45 minutes they are still just the results of a one day trip. Many of the videos are of 15, 20, and more landed steelhead. Pretty fantastic numbers.

Brown71 wrote:
I have caught a brown or two on most of the erie tribs, but no doubt, if you want the highest chance, give the NY Lake Erie tribs a shot. They seem to get a more consistent run.

I believe they still have a stocking program for them there, although I don't think its as many as back 8 or 10 years ago.

Back in the 2005-2007 seasons, we did very well for browns on those tribs. Most fish were 21" to 24", but we did get 3 that were 10 pounds plus.

05-07 seasons were the best I've ever seen for brown trout on those NY tribs. The farther east you traveled, the bigger the fish.

NY has decided to eliminate their Lake Erie Brown Trout Program which started in 2002. Previously, they had stocked fingerling in Barcelona and Dunkirk Harbors, Catt and either Big or Little Sister Creek.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/23313.html
The numbers of browns stocked is huge. GG

wbranch wrote:
Farmer Dave wrote;

and saw absolutely nothing wrong with their methods. They did seem to overestimate weights, but what fisherman doesn't.

Did it appear I found something wrong with their methods in my post?

No. I was going to say that at least they weren't pinning, but apparently I left that out.

I hope the puddle comment was sarcasm, because It's supper easy to floss steelhead in puddles

Hmm, what do you think?

I was just joking around. Notice the smiley and that I said supper, not super. But I do find it much easier to floss steelhead from the puddles for supper.;-)

Back