EPA "Eyes on Drilling" Hotline

B

Buggy

I received the info below in an Email from my State Rep today.

Hotline opens to report suspicious gas well drilling operations

Recent advances in drilling technology and rising natural gas prices have attracted new interest in the previously untapped Marcellus Shale rock formation.

However, complaints about drilling practices have been on the rise, which is why the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has launched an "Eyes on Drilling" hotline for people to anonymously report suspicious well activity. The phone number for the hotline is 1-877-919-4372 and complaints can also be made via e-mail at eyesondrilling@epa.gov.

When emergencies are observed at drilling sites, the EPA asks residents to call the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802.

The Marcellus Shale is a rock formation that underlies approximately two-thirds of Pennsylvania and portions of New York state and West Virginia at a depth of 5,000 to 8,000 feet and is believed to hold trillions of cubic feet of natural gas.

Thanks for the post!

this is good, people are starting to wake up. we need to keep an eye on these companies!
everyone should write this number down and keep it with your fishing license, along with numbers for the state police, local WCO,paDEP, etc. just put em on a piece of paper and keep it tucked in the holder with your license, just in case!
these are our waters, we need to patrol and protect them.

This is a good development. In my opinion, our state government needs to take a big step back, just as they have in NY and put a halt to all new permits and all drilling before it's too late. From what I can tell, the only ones in favor of this push to drill throughout PA's pristine natural areas are the gas companies, the politicians(both state and local) and others that stand to make a buck off of it. I for one, and I expect many others that love wild places, wild trout fishing, hunting and the peace and quiet of our mountains, are opposed to this "gas rush". I hope others that feel as I do start to get involved and make their voices heard.

Great to see this. I hope that everyone has had their water tested to show a base line incase they have a problem with their drinking water in the future.

Back