Enough Rain?

Monroe county very little.

Fished Fishing Creek (Clinton County) yesterday after the rain. The rain did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the creek levels here!

I had a golf tournament on Friday and Saturday. The rain here outside Baltimore did not help the playing conditions, especially after it was perfectly firm and fast on Friday.

It looks like the rain did increase flows on the Gunpowder below Little Falls.

How was the fishing?
Caught some fish about 50/50 rainbows and wild browns. Saw 2 other people who were fishing as well. I went to the PSU game on Saturday though and Spring Creek looked like a better option but that was before the rain. Fishing Creek is about as low as it gets.

Over the weekend some friends and I fished tributaries in the Pine Creek watershed. The levels were moderately low. Not terribly low, but some more rain would have improved the fishing conditions.

Over the weekend some friends and I fished tributaries in the Pine Creek watershed. The levels were moderately low. Not terribly low, but some more rain would have improved the fishing conditions.
Pine and Kettle gauges are above their seasonal averages. Though note this does not necessarily translate to good fishing flows, especially on the tribs, as late Sept/early October is usually the time period of the year with the lowest average flows. I’d want them both at least double what they are now before I’d personally be willing to make the trip up for trib fishing. Triple to quadruple more ideally.

One nearby watershed is in notably better shape flow wise though. It seemed to be just in the right spot and caught some Tstorms over the month of August that the others missed and held a little better base flow when the more soaking rains in September hit, enabling it to hold the incoming water better than its neighbors. IF I was heading up, that’s where I’d be going. (Rumor has it there are youthful individuals of the female persuasion in this watershed, or so it’s named.)

To be clear, there’s plenty of water across the state now in terms of fish survival. But less than ideal fishing flows in many (most?) places still.

Last edited:
According to the Tobyhanna Gauge, over 3" of rain today.

This should help the SE Pa flows. It rained pretty hard at times in the Lehigh Valley today and when not raining hard there was steady rainfall.

My local creek went from 4’ deep to over 8’ deep, water went a little over the one bridge and got very close to the other, pretty typical when it gets 3” of rain. Seems like it’s going to be unfishable for a few days

Pine and Kettle gauges are above their seasonal averages. Though note this does not necessarily translate to good fishing flows, especially on the tribs, as late Sept/early October is usually the time period of the year with the lowest average flows. I’d want them both at least double what they are now before I’d personally be willing to make the trip up for trib fishing. Triple to quadruple more ideally.

One nearby watershed is in notably better shape flow wise though. It seemed to be just in the right spot and caught some Tstorms over the month of August that the others missed and held a little better base flow when the more soaking rains in September hit, enabling it to hold the incoming water better than its neighbors. IF I was heading up, that’s where I’d be going. (Rumor has it there are youthful individuals of the female persuasion in this watershed, or so it’s named.)

To be clear, there’s plenty of water across the state now in terms of fish survival. But less than ideal fishing flows in many (most?) places still.
Looking at the gauges on Kettle and Pine, while I don't disagree w/ your sentiments, I have seen those gauges a lot worse this time of year. I will be up in the hood next week, and will be fishing them. This is Fall in Northern PA. I accepted that reality long ago.

Looking at the gauges on Kettle and Pine, while I don't disagree w/ your sentiments, I have seen those gauges a lot worse this time of year. I will be up in the hood next week, and will be fishing them. This is Fall in Northern PA. I accepted that reality long ago.

Oh yeah, they’ll fish. If I was up there, as in had a week long trip planned for a long time, I’d fish them. I’ve fished Kettle tribs when Kettle was at 10 cfs, and caught fish before. I was just saying I probably wouldn’t make a short notice drive up for a quickie weekend unless they had more water.

They caught some of the rain yesterday. May help some more.

Good luck, hope you get into them.

5 and 1/2 inches since Sunday morning according to my gauges. Will definetly help the fishing.

Oh yeah, they’ll fish. If I was up there, as in had a week long trip planned for a long time, I’d fish them. I’ve fished Kettle tribs when Kettle was at 10 cfs, and caught fish before. I was just saying I probably wouldn’t make a short notice drive up for a quickie weekend unless they had more water.

They caught some of the rain yesterday. May help some more.

Good luck, hope you get into them.
yup. Like you said...it ain't the only watershed up there either...there's another that is looking quite tasty right now.

Been raining here in SEPA for five days. It can't stop now.

Screen Shot 2022 10 05 at 110201 AM

My backyard rain gauge indicated just over 2" for this recent storm here in Adams Co. Local creeks, however, didn't seem to budge.

Back