Enjoyed the PA Mentored Youth Program this Morning

Luke

Luke

From my perspective, the PA Mentored Youth Fishing was a big success this morning.

I took my three kids ages 12, 10, and 10.

It was very cold and I was impressed with my kids resolve to even go along instead of stay in bed or play with their I-Pads.

We arrived at 7:45 AM at Black Rock and had our previously scouted and chosen spot to ourselves. There were several families just above us, but pressure was relatively light for an "opening day". The kids lasted until about 9:00 until we called it quits and went to warm up. Adam caught two brown trout on worms and unfortunately, I did not succeed to get the girls hooked up with any. All trout were released for future enjoyment.

It was darn cold at 28 degrees F and snow was falling in big flakes there. The road was actually covered with a thick blanket when we left.

It was tough but worthwhile trying to keep three rigs untangled, baited, and the guides deiced. Actual time spent with bait in the water for the girls was about 15 minutes probably. There was only a total of three fish caught up above us when we left.

We saw people along likely spots on the way home, but not too many. I am very happy to report that every person I saw today was very focused on helping a child to catch fish.

We stopped at the Albright Farm on the way home to try another couple of holes and had a very memorable moment. I found a nice undercut bend and got Adam, my son, into place and gave him instruction. I was giving the play by play as the worm made the drift into the bend. As it entered the undercut I said "he should be right about there" and bam! a nice big rainbow pulled the indicator down and the fight was on. It was a nice moment and he was smiling ear-to-ear. The rainbow was returned for someone else's special moment.

Thanks PA Fish Commission for the special opportunity this year.

While helping stock West Valley this (cold) morning with the WCFGW, about a dozen families showed up with their boys and girls. They were all looking happy and excited, especially as we were tossing the trouts in. None were caught that I saw, but that didn't dampen their enthusiasm. As above, I was happy to see the parents were focused on helping their progeny catch fish, rather than lamely doing their own thing.

A buddy and I woke up at 4am to head to the Jordan and get a prime spot for my two children. Arrived at 5am dreading not arriving early enough. Pulled into the parking lot and realized we were the first.

We couldn't believe it, this section is normally packed the evening before the normal first day. The week leading up to today lead us to believe it would be packed because whenever we went to scout, there were tons of people out with their kids doing the same thing. Fresh tracks in the snow jumping from hole to hole Like a herd of cattle were trampling through.

My wife arrived and dropped off the boys at 7:15. The next car to pull in showed up around 7:30. I could hear the father groan that we were in the spot he wanted to be. By 8:00 there were 5 sets of families scattered up and down the stream. By 8:05 my son hooked and landed a 23 1/2 inch Lightning Troot. He was pumped. By 8:30 both boys caught 3 each. Fishing was quite slow for the this stream and no pressure. We were dumbfounded but realized it was probably due to the cold water. By the time we left around noon to head to another stream they both had about 10 fish each. They both were able to hold off till about 3:00 until I could tell they were ready to quit. They had an absolute blast and sure were troopers with the weather.

I was a proud father and all the families seemed to be enjoying themselves. I saw a bunch of smiles on kids faces today. There was only one incident that soured it for me. A father and two older boys showed up across the stream from us. I would say they were in the 10-14 age range. The father started fishing and left the boys to fend for themselves. The boys were struggling and if I was on the other side I really would have helped. The younger of the two hooked into a big bow around 20+. The father was about 15 yards down stream and didn't seem to care. The boy was yelling for his dad to help and the father just yelled up to his older son to give him a hand as he kept fishing. The boy lost the fish and I felt horrible for not being able to help. If my boys were not with me that man would have heard it.

Feel good story was my buddy who took the time out of his day to spend it with my two boys and I and really give my youngest some true one on one attention when I couldn't. It really helped things go smooth and helped both boys to catch more fish. He even ran quite a ways upstream to help a dad and little girl land a big lighting Troot with my net.

All in all it was a great day and I think this was a great idea from the PFBC.

Glad you all enjoyed the day with your kids. Too bad about that selfish father. I hope that was the exception, but I fear it wasn't.

Good to hear.

I saw some folks fishing local ATWs today and had to be reminded by a friend that it was the mentored youth day.

I will add to the good reports to say that my experience was much the same as I counted anglers on a section of the Jordan near Allentown and on Coplay Ck. Just as with the early regional opening day that started a few years ago, the nay-sayers were wrong again about this day: The ratio of adults to children was excellent and more than met the intention of the program without having to create a regulation that dictates the desired ratio of one for one. Combining streams, I counted 33 adults and 41 children in a 2 hr period in the AM. Many of those kids were in the 3-5 yr old range, an age group that is often shut out on a typical opening day. And lots of the adults were truly helping the kids. I saw numerous fully stocked, traditionally crowded opening day holes where no fishing was occurring. People had plenty of room to spread out and the fish were hitting, although a little slowly for some in the cold water. Most people had caught at least a single fish, however. Teens were not he norm as I only saw three or four. Parents were appreciative and a thank you from them was the norm, not the exception. They continued to sing the praises of the idea, which is pleasing to the PFBC and personally gratifying to me.

Our guys were out stocking co-op fish today and said there were over a dozen cars at the Muddy Creek Forks and another 6-7 at High Rock. So it looks like the word got out. Next week should be fun at the food stands listening to how they fished out all the criks. :-D

Kudos to any parents and especially their kids who hung in and fished today. When I saw the snow coming down this morning and then the wind kicked up I figured it was a lost day for this event.

I don't have any youngsters but this day for them is a good idea except for one detail.I don't think the mentor should be allowed to fish.The mentor should help the kids cast,bait the hook,help land the fish,but he/she should not be allowed to hold the rod and fish!

Back