Endorsement and Question, GPS Fishing Guide for Garmin GPS

S

StreamHiker

Last weekend I purchased the GPS Fishing Guide - Pennsylvania (SD card) for my Garmin at the Eastern Outdoor Show. Essentially, it loads all PA Fish Commission (all approved, spec regs class A etc) waterways to my GPS. You can drive to a new area with your GPS and search for nearby water. I live in Indiana County and took it out on a field trip the other day. I discovered 4 streams all within 30 mins of my house that I hadn't thought about or I had overlooked for years. It makes it a lot nicer than trying to search streams in the digest or Dave Wolf's guide or even Landis'... I paid $70 for the chip and I feel like it was well worth it, especially to a hacker like me who keeps a fly rod, vest and extra change of clothes in the car (I travel 10 counties for work). However, I do have one question for anyone who has this product. The salesman showed me a feature where you can leave the "map" up on your GPS and when you drive near a stream there is a little pop-up window. So when I'm driving to a sales call with GPS I would still get pop-ups enroute (so I can daydream about not having to work and head north to the stream, torture I'm sure). I can't get this feature to engage. I sent an email to the mfg (Ultimate Fishing Maps www.gogalpublishing.com) but no reply (there's a shocker...). Has anyone experienced this and can offer assistace? Glad I found this forum. Thanks.

It's a single guy running it and I bet he is tied up at the Harrisburg Sportsmans show that you bought it at. They are there Feb 5-13, then Oaks 2/17 - 2/20. If you are near the show you could take it in there for a hands on tutorial.

My guess is that it is likely a model feature issue. Probably models that have the pop up advertising in the traffic receiver. What model Garmin do you have? I assume you have hooked it up to your computer to do the updates or did you just slap the card in the slot?

$70. Damn.

They said they were going to have a trout only map out in 2010. Wonder what happened to it?

"Later in 2010, Gogal Publishing will go back to its roots with the introduction of our Pennsylvania Trout Fishing GPS map. This GPS Map will also cover the entire state of Pennsylvania and detail the exact sections of each and every stream and lake that will be stocked with trout by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Pennsylvania Trout Fishing GPS Map is more detailed than any stocking map Mike Gogal ever released."

...story of my life brother.. I'm always one model number short.. LOL. Thanks for the feedback. I have a Nuvi 200w and I am possibly the most technically-challenged person on earth (hence the lack of cool pics and headings with my posts). I'm sure they will get back to me and confirm. All in all, I am really pleased with it. The $70 price tag is somewhat salty, but I guess they sort of have you by the short & curlys when it comes to ease of locating streams...

StreamHiker wrote:
All in all, I am really pleased with it. The $70 price tag is somewhat salty, but I guess they sort of have you by the short & curlys when it comes to ease of locating streams...

Or you can access all that info for free on the PAFBC web site....

I use google earth with a patch that shows all the wild trout waters , the PAFBC site ,psu interactive map and the corn planters map. I get long/lat. of of them and put em in my garmen n your set. I backed up all my cordinates by hand in a binder and got 6 or 7 tablet pages front and back full.

Great info, thanks! Also, they did contact me and that particular feature isn't on my Garmin model. All in all, I like the product for ease and convenience.

I don't know much about the vehicle model garmins, but in handhelds it would most likely be deactivated through, main menu, setup, map, map product, & enabled or disabled.
anyone who #OOPS#es about a GPS either can't run one or hasn't tried one, an indispensible tool at times........ Try the garmin topo maps they will have a P.O.I. finder with geographic points that may blow your mind by what is close to your home.

My friend bought the gps fishing guide and he let me look at and all I have to say is wow it has almost everything you can think of about pa streams including what fish are in the lakes or even tell you were the nearest spot to fish for a certain species is, it has parking areas boat ramps regs for each stream . You can search for certaim special regs to fish . And my favorite part it gives you directions to any stream you want and tells you all the streams in your general area all at your finger tips . I will have mine by the end of the week it IMHO worth the money it will last you longer than a sharkskin line and will be a alot better fishing tool .
http://gogalpublishing.com/home/PA_SportfishingMoreInfo.aspx

BUT will it out fish a Purple Haze?

LRSABecker wrote:
BUT will it out fish a Purple Haze?

If I am the owner of it than yes it sure will ;-)

Lol

StreamHiker wrote:
The salesman showed me a feature where you can leave the "map" up on your GPS and when you drive near a stream there is a little pop-up window. So when I'm driving to a sales call with GPS I would still get pop-ups enroute (so I can daydream about not having to work and head north to the stream, torture I'm sure). I can't get this feature to engage.

Two questions:

1) When you installed the card did it ask if you wanted to copy the card to your internal memory so that you don't have to have the card in there? Mine did and now it is loaded on the GPS without the card in there.

2) Did you figure out how to turn that feature on or did they respond and say what models that works on?

I just learned about this forum. Thanks for the Endorsements! I am the owner and maker of the GPS Fishing Guide-PA so I thougth I'd clear up some of the questions.

Streamhiker - I remember speaking with you on the phone! The product is not designed to give you "Pop-Ups" as you drive and as I said, the screen display is model specific.

If you want to drive and see all the fishing opportunities nearby like you describe, just select a category like "Search All Trout Fishing" but do not select any destination so the list is visible. The list will then dynamically update with distances to the closest points as you drive. We did not want to add pop-up alerts because it would get very obnoxious if you were using the GPS for other purposes. I hate the advertising alerts on my Garmin.

As far as the GPS unit asking you if you want to install the software, that is a Garmin model specific function. Very old units allow you to install the software directly from MicroSD however doing so is limited by the memory available on your unit. Newer units do not allow installation. Most units will not let you install and you will need to keep the SD Card in place to take advantage of the software. All units will operate without installing as long as the SD card is in the slot so the memory is not used.

As far as the Trout Only product for 2010, thanks for reminding me that we need to update that page. We decided to make a combined product for all Freshwater Fishermen in 2011. We felt it better to combine everything than building separate products for every species. The price is $79.95 by the way not $70. It may seem a little pricy but given the amount of work to create this, it seemed a very fair price and is priced well below similar Garmin SD Card products.

In the future, I'll be happy to answer any questions directly. Contact me at service@gogalpublishing.com

For more info, our website is www.ultimatefishingmaps.com

One problem that I saw on a friend unit is that it took us to ATW sections of the Tulpehocken and had them listed as DHAFLO. This was prior to opening day and fishing that section would have been illegal.

Question: If one has a Garmin with plenty of memory available internally, can one hook the Garmin up to a computer and put the maps on the internal memory like other maps? For example, my Garmin has tons of internal storage but no SD slot, yet I can transfer the entire Europe maps to the internal memory.

What model Garmin do you own? If it supports GPI Custom POI's then it may be possible to install however if it does, you should have a slot. Depending on the model, it could be hidden inside the battery compartment. If it's a StreetPilot 300 series, then the unit will not support our product.

As far as the Tulpehocken creek point, I'll definitely look into that. several points are actually at the regulation transition and one side of the bridge may be one regulation and the other side may be a different regulation. Things also do change up to the last minute. We always encourage customers to obey the posted signs for this reason.

Garmin nuvi 1350 LMT

I'll get the lower GPS coordinates of the Tully regs area. The area that this point took us to was a few hundred yards below the special regs. Not a problem for us locals, but without that experience I would have never really thought about it at other waters.

Edit: Nevermind. There is a micro-SD card slot in the nuvi 1350 LMT!

Back