emerger question

phillyfly

phillyfly

I am curious what the proper way to fish emergers are. When you refer to a sulphur emerger is that fished on the top like a dry? Do I apply floatant to just the top part of the fly so half is submerged? Should I fish this when the fish are justing sipping?

I know there is a couple parts to that question but I figured id get it all in one shot. Also can someone suggest some june/july emerger patterns for Lancaster/Dauphin Counties?

sometimes the rise form will be a head just barely breaking the surface and then the tail of fin coming out of the water or just dimple rings sometimes or sometimes splashy rises , u can fish an emerger dropped of a dun to match the hatch with both flys or u can just fish an emerger , all u want to float is the very top , most are to look like a nymph from the bottom 2/3 the fish see and right at the surface if the fly looks like it has a gas bubble or proper colore dubbing fish love em , good luck , hope this helps , we posted some emerger pics a while back

Philly,
The term "emerger" usually implies an aquatic insect that is transitioning - literally emerging from it's skin - from a nymph or pupal stage to a winged adult at or very near (an inch or two below) the surface. Unlike many "adult" insects that sit on top of the surface tension, the emerger phase has the insect in or below the surface film. Normally, you would imitate an emerger with a nymph type fly or a variation specifically designed to imitate emergers. You can grease these emerger flies with floatant but you don't want the nymph to ride high on the tension. Rather, you might try to grease only the forward part of the fly so the rearward part, basically the tail, hangs below the tension/surface. This is the key. When trout key in on emergers they can be very selective and getting your fly to hang in or just below the surface is often the trick to nailing these trout. As for when to fish them, very few folks search with emergers. Because these are tough and finicky flies to use, most folks only use 'em when they see fish sipping.

Back