Embracing the Heat

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

DSCN0056.JPG

95 Degrees and sunny means there is only one place to fish

You can lament the heat in July and accept fishing for trout for the only 2 productive hours of the day at dawn/dusk. Or....grab a wide-brimmed straw hat and jump in the U-boat. Yesterday as the heat began to build, I started thinking about damselflies and lily pads. The more humid it got the more I thought some of the local ponds would light up.

DSCN0069.JPG

The evening began with a light Foam Butt Caddis. Not finding anything on the edges, I moved out to the pods of lilies in the deeper water and quickly began to pick up fish on top with some nice fat fish finding the apron of the tube. They seemed to be hovering around the tops of the pads. The takes were steady between smallish gills and half-pound bass, with a healthy smattering of good fish mixed in. As the sun dropped behind the trees, the FBC lost its luster. So, I switched to a version of the Gartside Gurgler and instantly brought up fish. They didn't just roll under this fly, they attacked it. Often times missing it in the frenzy a couple times before finally nailing it.

www.ralphsflybox.com

Back