Elk Creek Steelhead, what equipment?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

The discussion on steelhead fishing on Elk Creek has caught my interest. Maybe something I would consider planning for next year. What rod size and weights are needed? What are common flies that work? (or uncommon for that matter)

I've only be going up for a few years now and I am anything but an expert, but in my opinion, the ideal rod would be a full-flex 9.5 ft, 7-weight. I don't own one, so I get by with a mid-flex, 9 ft. 6-weight. If my son fishes with me, he gets the 6-weight and I use my fast 9 ft. 5-weight. I think a lot of people use 8-weights also, though I don't think you need a rod that powerful.

I went after steelhead for the first time this year. I used and 9ft 8wt with floating line, 3x fluro with sucker spawn & egg patterns in white, pink, & orange.

In a two day trip, I hooked into about six fish and landed 2.

As a rookie, I quickly learned to keep my hand off the reel and let the fish tire out some before even thinking about bringing him in.

DC

I'll generally echo what Jack said, although I'd opine that a 9 foot 6 wgt. is optimal. A smooth running reel may actually be just as important. So long as the water remains above 40 or so, these fish can tend to run a lot of line off a reel. On the other hand, once it gets cold, they tend to get loggy with maybe one good run in them. Then they settle in and bulldog.

Just about any sunken fly of sufficient size to get the fish's attention will work at one time or another. They aren't very bright, even for a fish. Egg flies in sizes ranging from 1/4 inch in diameter up to ping pong ball size all can be useful as can wooly buggers and various and sundry streamers in say, 6 through 12. It's been my experience that these fish will not chase a moving fly very often when the water is below 40F. Generally though, I think novelty is the key to fly choice. They see a lot of flies. See what everybody else is fishing and fish something totally different. Then after while, they'll stop hitting this. Change flies often. They aren't very bright, but they are weird, IMO

I bought a steelhead outfit back in august off international angler in pittsburgh. I was going to get a 9.5 ft 7 wght, but they recommended a 10 footer,7wght. I was a little skeptical at first, but went with the longer rod. When I first used it up erie last month, it performed very well. The extra length really does play out the fish better, and I'm glad I got the 10 footer now.

I like an 8wt. but then I throw large flies for them....eggs are fine for breakfast... :-D Oh yea my rod builder is going to do a 6wt. for me to take next year..

As with everything - "it depends".

I initially had a 9' 6wt rod and I always felt like I was going to bust the rod. So this year, I opted for a 9' 8wt rod and that felt much better, although an extra foot on the rod would probably be ideal. I fished just a few miles upstream from the mouth on my first trip and all the fish I caught were fresh, and they fought like the ****ens. Second trip up, I fished upper Elk - fish were definitely in the stream longer, water was colder, and they simply didn't fight as hard. The 6wt probably would have done the trick. Fish that run can strip a lot of line out, so you might want a large arbor reel. I'll be testing that option the next time I get up to Erie, although that may be next season. Whatever reel you have, make sure it has a good drag.

For presentation, in high, fast flowing water, you may want a sinking line, along with some splitshot to get and keep the fly down. In normal flow, a floating line will work fine. I fish egg flies (sucker spawn, crystal meth, blood dots, and the like) and streamers. I like to fish an indicator with the egg flies and either dead drift the streamers, or strip them on a jerked retrieve. Clouser minnows should work too.

I fish mainly the ohio tribs. After many years of using a stiff 8 wt, I switched to a 6wt last year. With the 8 wt, I got a lot of break offs and with the 6 wt I felt like I was horsing fish and had no control in close and didn't have enough power to cast the heavy weighted nyphing rigs.

I'd say more important than the wt of the rod is getting one that has a very soft tip but a very stiff butt. The longer the better, espcially if indy fishing. Anything longer than 10 ft gets very unweildy to cast single handed. Thats why I built a 11' 6" 6/7/8 Batson spey blank and will use it for both indi fishing and swinging flies this year. But this is me being an obsessive gearhead.

More important that the type of fly is getting the fly down to exactly the fished level which is usually near the botton. Add and adjust weight (i use loons deep soft) when indy fishing or use sinking tips/poly leaders when swinging flies to get it down there.

Lastly, you need a good reel with a good drag.

Good luck and have fun.

Ohio,
Does that Loons Deep Soft work for you well in cold conditions? I had a heck of a time keeping the stuff on when I was up in Erie mid Nov. I found that it was very brittle and had to warm it in my arm pit to get to malleable. I switched to Orvis splits.

Tabasco, I was in your very position last year and not to sell out the info on this site, fisherie.com discussion boards are steelhead 24/7 so there is plenty of info there too. Anyways, I use what they call a "Cabelas Special" which was $120 outfit; I really bought it for the rod which was a 9' 8wt St Croix Avid series last spring. The cabela's prestiage reel was junk, I dropped it once and the spool bent to hell, so I purchased an Okumu SLV 8/9 this past summer for fall steelies and striper, and must say not a bad reel for $60. The avid series is a cheap all around versatile rod with a semi stiff tip, and have had no complaints.

And finally flies, ahhh!!!! Steelies are finicky to say they least, bring a good set of gloves cause you going to be swithing and tieing flies all day long and you will want to keep your hands warm. Enjoy figuring this stuff out, I know I am.

The absolute best rod is one you can't buy off the shelf. It is a noodle rod blank that has been built into a fly rod. This is mentioned in Jihn Nagy's book for fishing lake erie steelhead. I have built many of these rod for people and they love them. The blank is a 10'6" St. Croix UL Salmon/Steelhead noodle blank. It sells for around 70-75 bucks. This rod casts a 5 or 6 wt. line with shot and indicators nicely at close range, gives wonderful reach to really get drag free drifts, and really protects light tippets from breakoffs while still providing the power neccessary to tame these large fish. Build one yourself or find a rodbuilder to do it for you. You won't be disappointed!

I keep the deep soft in a pocket under my jacket. I do use split shot, too.

Personally, I go with a 9 ft 7wt and it works well for me. Then again, I don't go to Erie after steelies nearly as much as I used to. If I were making more trips I'd probably upgrade to something longer either in a 6 or 7 wt. The crowds and the posting has turned me off. I still make a trip or two every year, usually in the winter or spring.

Back