Electronic Idiot

bugger814

bugger814

Hi , I am new to paflyfish page , really I am fairly new to most anything dealing with electronics. I havn't been big on computers and not long ago finally got A cell phone. I have looked around on here and it actually seems very interesting and informative. I have two questions that I am not sure how to do on here. First how do you post A picture ? and second I see people copy others quote on here and post them before their response , how do I do that ? Appreciate any help and actually looking forward to reading the topics on here. Thanks

There are many ways to post a picture, and I will give you the easiest way.

I use the "attach file" feature which is just below the test box when your are entering a message. I store the picture on my hard drive and then browse for it. Note, there are size restrictions this way, so you may need to either crop or resize the image.

I don't know how to resize on a cel phone. I still use a flip phone.;-)

For the quote feature...

Click respond, then look below to find the quote button. It will quote the entire message that you are responding to. At that point you can delete what you don't want.

Another way is copy what you want to quote, and past it in the message surrounded by (quote) and (/quote), only use brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis.

If you use the quote button, you will see what I mean. It adds it for you.

Farmerdave is correct. Click in the "Attach File" box, then click "Upload," then click "Submit" and your written post will upload with the picture. The biggest problem people have is trying to upload photos that are too large. They need to be reduced to under about 150 KB in order to work.

Welcome to our community Bugger814.

Good luck bigger, I still can't post a picture or have a keen avatar

thanks for the reply guys, I will be trying these out soon. Like I said I am not one for electronic gadgets or computer stuff but this does seem like an interesting group , and since fly fishing has been my favorite topic for the last 35 years I will be on here looking around. Again thanks

Welcome aboard from another technically challenged guy. GG

me-party line gen---

Dave_W wrote:
Farmerdave is correct. Click in the "Attach File" box, then click "Upload," then click "Submit" and your written post will upload with the picture. The biggest problem people have is trying to upload photos that are too large. They need to be reduced to under about 150 KB in order to work.

I tried using the attached file box way to post a picture, but the picture doesn't show when I preview the post. Does it only show after the post has been submitted?

I used to post pictures using [img/ way from a third party host, but that's always been a pain when downloading pictures to the host site.

For the quote feature...

Click respond, then look below to find the quote button. It will quote the entire message that you are responding to. At that point you can delete what you don't want.

Another way is copy what you want to quote, and past it in the message surrounded by (quote) and (/quote), only use brackets [ ] instead of parenthesis.

If you use the quote button, you will see what I mean. It adds it for you.

Just testing this...I always wondered also...

It will not show in preview. The only way to know if you met the parameters for images is that when you hit upload, the filename will show in bold. Then hit submit.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Jack, this is a 74kb pic.

Okay that worked, but how would you post multiple pics with text in between?

Attachments

• IMG_20171122_155938081 (1).jpg
    IMG_20171122_155938081 (1).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 6
You cannot with the feature that allows upload to the site, you would need to host the image and then use the image feature. A trick would be to post the images via upload then capture the url for the uploaded picture and use it to do an inline pic:

12_5a62a2b79a7b5.jpg

Just like that!

Okay thanks. Can you drag and drop, or copy and paste the bold print to the post, and then write text in between?

I'll play around with it later.

I think you right-click on the uploaded image and select Copy Image Location, then use that copied link along with the image icon feature.

1fish wrote:
Thanks Jack, this is a 74kb pic.

Okay that worked, but how would you post multiple pics with text in between?

Well, if it is just short text, you can rename the photo to the desired text and then it will look like a header ... with .jpg suffix, of course.

Attachments

• RIP old friend.jpg
    RIP old friend.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 4
By right-clicking Dave's picture and selecting copy image location, I am able to then touch the image icon (just to the right of the word Message, above), then paste the saved link and accept the defaults until the dialogue boxes disappear. Then submit or preview your post.

348_5a68df8a56cfd.jpg

By the way, I moved this to Site and Forum comments which more appropriate for tutorials on use of the forums.

Back