Egg Patterns

W

WoolyBugger88

What types of egg patterns does anyone find favorable this time of year . . . specifically colors and size hooks.

my personal favorite is light pink with red dot on it. Smaller size then bigger.

pink, white, and yellow are my most productive, had alot of luck with about a size 12 white one this last week.

Pink, blue, yellow, and orange. All size 14-16, as well as the occasional size 20 micro egg. I've found that when they're taking eggs, they usually aren't too picky. I tie them in a standard glo-bug type pattern, and prefer unweighted so I can use split shot to fine tune the drift.

I like peach/apricot egg flies in the fall/early winter and shift to light chartreuse/oregon cheese in late winter/early spring. I like blue, cream, and pink too - but I have just gone to peach/apricot and light chartreuse to save space in the box.

Mostly I use Bill Skilton's egg yarn in apricot wrapped around a size 14 Mustad 3906 hook. Also like glow bugs from 14 down to 20, and a size 14 sucker spawn is always good to have. Trout and sucker eggs aren't all that large and I find using smaller patterns than you would on a Great lakes trib works better on inland waters.

Alaskan deep 6 egg in bright orange. I think getting the egg to the bottom is more important than the color.

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/deep6egg.html

Bill

If you get bored tying the standard single egg pattern and/or just want to add a bit of variety, try both or either of these add-ons:

-- before tying the yarn in, place 3-4 strands of crystal flash along the shaft of the hook so they protrude from the bend (as would a tail on a dry fly), then place and tie in the yarn and create the egg shape as normal;

-- additionally or alternatively, after finishing the egg (having left just a little room behind the eye), tye in a sparse bunch of white maribou, spreading it around the shaft near the eye, then pull it rearward over the egg shape and trim behind the egg, or if you'd like, tie it down behind.

Here's a bad example I could find easily:

miltandegg.jpeg

I take the smaller pom-poms from teh craft store and connect 5 or 6 by threading them with a needle and attaching the thread to the hook. its like a clump of smaller eggs and they really seem to like that. I make pink and orange. For single eggs I just run the hook thru the center of the bigger pom-poms and take a red sharpie and place a dot on the egg. I secure them with a drop of super glue. I don;t even need the vice for those.

This is what i'm going for with the first one:

Pale pink sucker spawn, glo eggs with red/orange dot and blood dots are productive for me. Chartreuse, pale blue, even pale yellow are good. Same thing, sucker spawn, glow eggs and blood dots, anywhere from 14 to 16 has been very productive for me this fall.

The hot colors seem to work better in stained water and for chasing Steelies. The pale colors work well too, but I find them more productive for trout. Much of it has to do with water clarity, time of day/amount of sun and depth of water from my experiences.

I've also had some luck with a micro egg or a bead, in red or orange wrapped in chartreuse, pink or white flow yarn. These work great in low/clear conditions in a 16.

I have beeen trying the egg that has the sparkle in it. It hasnt worked for me. I tried the the pink ball with a red magic marker for dots on both sides with a wired weighting, it has also not worked for me except for chubs. So there does that help?

Took the great advice to the water and discovered that pale colors seemed to outfish the brighter colors. I saw some fish spook with the bright orange and pink colors while the pale yellow and very light pink colors initiated hits.

Thanks again guys for all the info.

Congrats on your productive day on the water :pint: :cool:

Back