Effects on rods after repair(s)

dudemanspecial

dudemanspecial

I would like to preface this by saying that I am by no means a great caster, probably not even a good one, but I CAN cast well enough to look like I know what I am doing.

My father in law gave me an older Sage VPS. It is a 2 piece, 8’6” 5 weight. He purchased it brand new. Although the rod has very little use, it has had 2 repairs due to the tip breaking off.

These breaks seem to have both been relatively flush the tip top, and both times were repaired by simply putting on a new tip top.

I cannot get this rod to load right. Forward casts just either dont get going and collapse, or i have to punch it so hard it throws tailing loops.

Do you think this is due to the fact that probably 2-3 inches are gone from the tip, or can I just not cast this rod? I am trying to decide whether to keep trying, or just pitch it.

The repairs were made by the shop that sold him the rod, at the recommendation that it was not worth sending it back over a broken tip. I could see doing this once, but I really question twice.

Have you tried going up 1 line weight?

Under lifetime warranty? A twice broken tip may just barely make the case for product defect vs user error. Wouldn't hurt to inquire.

Don't know the rod, but three inches sounds close to the first guide. On a tip action rod, that may require up lining as mentioned.

Edit to add: Maybe this rod wouldn't suit your style in New condition, either

Under lifetime warranty? A twice broken tip may just barely make the case for product defect vs user error. Wouldn't hurt to inquire.

Don't know the rod, but three inches sounds close to the first guide. On a tip action rod, that may require up lining as mentioned.

Edit to add: Maybe this rod wouldn't suit your style in New condition, either
I haven’t actually measured the amount it is short, im just thinking it is probably at least 2 inches. I will when I get home.

As far as warranty goes, not sure how sage would handle that. It is probably 15-20 years old, model is long discontinued.

I think that if it's that old, Sage would replace the rod with a newer (equivalent) model. I mentioned in another post that I had an old SP rod that I sent back for repair. They told me that it was out of production for too long so all they could offer was a newer rod of similar type. The "repair" fee was reasonable, I think like $80 or so, though that was probably 10 years ago.
In your case, either a true repair or a replacement with a newer rod might be worth a nominal "repair" fee.

I haven’t actually measured the amount it is short, im just thinking it is probably at least 2 inches. I will when I get home.

As far as warranty goes, not sure how sage would handle that. It is probably 15-20 years old, model is long discontinued.
I've repaired quite a few rods. For the most part 2 inches really wouldn't make much of a difference if any at all.

I'd send it back to sage when they are taking repairs again and have them make you a new tip.

I've repaired quite a few rods. For the most part 2 inches really wouldn't make much of a difference if any at all.
Thanks for your input. I guess I should clarify that I was being a little over dramatic in my original post. I can cast the rod, it is just difficult to find consistency. Its like i am fighting the thing to get the job done. I had it in my head that this was going to be a nice casting rod but to me its not.

Thanks for your input. I guess I should clarify that I was being a little over dramatic in my original post. I can cast the rod, it is just difficult to find consistency. Its like i am fighting the thing to get the job done. I had it in my head that this was going to be a nice casting rod but to me its not.
Some rods are like that...they just don't suit the person casting it. Thats why they make so many rods with so many different options. If 1 style worked for everyone there wouldn't be slow, moderate slow, moderate, moderate fast, fast, super fast, mid flex, full flex, tip flex, etc. Then you throw in glass, carbon graphite, bamboo. Also what one brand claims to be an action won't be the same in another brand. I'd maybe see about selling it or trading it for something that hopefully suits your style of casting/fishing.

I picked up an older 2 piece 8'6" 5Wt Sage DS rod from a fishing acquaintance on "an offer I couldn't refuse." I immediately noticed a huge difference in the way it cast compared to my Orvis Encounter 9' 5Wt beginners rod; I am a beginner.

The Sage has a much softer action and definitely requires me to cast it differently, basically slower. It seems the less I think about it the better the casts are. I don't know if that applies to your particular Sage or if it will help you, but give it another couple outings. I don't think missing the last couple inches would make that much of a difference in castability.

The DS was Sage's beginner rod of the time.

Sage DS is a solid rod and was Sage's beginner rod. The best way to be a better caster is to practice though. Then you will be able to cast any rod.

Back