Effect of gas on acid rain

That is the big issue with renewables as pcray has mentioned. The cost in producing them, transporting and installing them and the fact that you cant just put them anywhere are a major limiting factors. And I hear the argument all the time, well there are entire countries in Europe that are powered by renewable energy...yeah and they are also as big as one or medium sized states! Our countries power grid is set up to run off of fossil fuels. Nothing is going to change that overnight.

And I 100% agree that we really missed the boat with nuclear energy. Although it does make up a bigger portion of the countries power production than most think. I believe, and don't quote me on this, its somewhere between 15 and 20% if im not mistaken. But think even if we could get that number to say 50%! To have a country the size of the US be supplied with half of its annual power by nuclear energy with 0 emissions would be incredible. Nuclear is astronomically more efficient in terms of energy density than any fossil fuel but the tag of "Nuclear" makes your average person think about the Chernobyl or 3 mile island or Fukushima disasters.

As has been said, there is no clear cut answer to solve all of our energy troubles. It really needs to be a combination of all things. Tighter regs on extraction and emissions, moving towards burning cleaner fuels like natural gas or relying more heavily on nuclear, and implementing renewables where feasible to alleviate some of the strain of burning fossil fuels.

And also, I agree Fly-Swatter, that part of the problem lies in energy demand, for which we are all to blame. But as the population grows and technology advances, mankind will always crave more power, especially in this county, but we all need to do our part.

The devil is in the details: Who will determine the definition of "impact" at each stage?

It's really pretty simple. If there's a problem, fix it.

Acid rain. Well, there's a problem. Trace it back. Sulfur emissions. Well, there you go. Put a limit on sulfur emissions. All
forms of power generation get the same limit. Maybe you need a limit on consumer owned products too, like cars. So do it...

AMD. Well then, total H+ ion releases shall not exceed ____ or else the fine will be heavy enough to cover cleanup and then some.

That's not how we do it though. We have a politician trying to help one entity and hurt another. Another politician across the aisle trying to help another entity. The regs end up overly specific as to hamper a competitor without hampering the sponsor. Not really written to protect the environment, but rather, to protect someone's golden goose.

Don't get me wrong, it sometimes is done right. For instance, problem with ozone layer. Limit CFC use across the board. Done.

On the demand side, I do agree.

But one thing always drives me up a wall. "Produces enough energy to power XXXXX homes".

Fantastic.

But home use is only like 40% of electricity use. You use more at work. A LOT more if you work in the industrial sector.

Back