Educate me on winter fishing

N

nomad_archer

Ok guys. I have Friday off this week and I am going to go fishing. This is the latest I have ever considered fishing. What do I need to know to make this an enjoyable outing. I understand I need to stay warm and dry. Any tips/tricks/techniques I need to consider or keep in mind? Fly selection midges, black stone flies, streamers? I will most likely be fishing some smaller local stocked stream.

I have read the blog post on the home page as well concerning proper dress.

Thanks,
Nomad

nomad_archer wrote:
Ok guys. I have Friday off this week and I am going to go fishing. This is the latest I have ever considered fishing. What do I need to know to make this an enjoyable outing. I understand I need to stay warm and dry. Any tips/tricks/techniques I need to consider or keep in mind? Fly selection midges, black stone flies, streamers? I will most likely be fishing some smaller local stocked stream.

Thanks,
Nomad

Make sure you pick a stream that has been stocked in the fall or fish a wild trout stream. Class A wild trout streams are on the PAFB County Guide Map. Zoom in on your area and select Class A streams from the menu.

For a stocked stream, I believe the Tulpehocken isn't too far from your location. The special regulation area was stocked in the fall.

Smaller nymphs should work. Fish them deep and slow.

Here are some Winter fly fishing tips

Stay warm and good luck.

I always try to get in the "last trip of the year" during the week between Xmas & New Year. My go-to fly is a black wooly bugger, fished low & slow. It may be the only time of the year I actually fish a wooly bugger now that I think of it, but I try to minimize fly changes in the cold and keep it simple.

Good luck!

I fish the two ends of the spectrum when it comes to flies in the winter. I normally start out fishing streamers by dead drifting or using a slow retrieve. However, if this is not productive I end up switching to tiny pts and midges.

The most important thing to remember is that the fish are slowing down, so you have to slow down your presentation and put your flies right in their face.

EDIT: Hand warmers in your boots can turn a miserable day into a very enjoyable one.

Always helps to have a squirmy worm or two when all else fails...I've also seen quite a few little black stonefly hatches in December the past couple years

First, winter can be a great time to fish so it is good to learn. There is peace and quiet on most streams in winter and one can actually catch a good number of fish, including some larger ones. Modern outdoor clothing has been a game changer for me and one needs to wear the best cold weather gear you have. Comfort is key - you can't concentrate on fishing when you are uncomfortable. Also no need to get out early in the morning, so have a nice breakfast, go out late morning and just fish a few hours. No need to push things.

First step is where to go. Fish tend to go to pools with a slight current in the winter and will congregate where it is warmer. This may be a warm water source like a spring or even a power plant discharge or a section of dark bottom. Some of these places may be the cold water refuges in the summer, while others are the places trout avoid in the summer. IMHO, they like to be about 3 or 4 feet down. Deep enough to feel safe, but shallow enough to get some sun. The deep dark pools don't work as well for me. In some winter holes I fish the browns will congregate more in winter than in summer. People are secret about their winter holes, so you may have to move around to find the sweet spots. Biggest issue IMHO is to find out where they are - you need to get close since trout don't move much in the winter.

Trout aren't that hungry and don't move fast in winter which generates two major fly strategies. First is use something large enough to wake them up and make it worth while for them to eat. Streamers or buggers swung slowly near the bottom do the trick here. Cast across, let the streamer sink, and let the current do all the work. Dead drifting is an option. Strikes will often be subtle - more like a leaf hanging up than the savage strikes of May, so strike when you feel anything. I have good luck with both black and white patterns. Buggers are good, but I have also had good luck with Shenk's white minnow (a good dead drifting streamer - looks like winter killed minnows to me) or a Shenk's sculpin.

The second strategy if they aren't hungry is to offer a tasty little snack right in front of their face. Winter bugs are typically tiny, so midge larvae/pupa and little black stone patterns are popular. A small egg, scud, or worm pattern never hurts in my experience either. Of course small pheasant tails, green caddis worms, or hare's ears will work. I have also found to avoid too much flash in the winter. More subtle color combinations work better for inactive fish. Save the flashy stuff for when trout are feeding heavily. In general, I haven't found pattern as important and had a 5 year period where all I used on freestones in winter were LBS nymphs and I caught as many fish as when I brought a large fly box.

Good luck - winter fishing can be a lot of fun.

And when all else fails, whip out the green weenies.

They've saved their fair share of winter fishing trips for me when it feels like theres nothing the trout wanna eat.

All good info here. I was wondering if anyone has a tip for keeping the line guides from freezing? I didnt have a problem this past sunday, but two weeks ago when Id slowly strip line in and it would hang up on the frozen guides it would feel like a strike. Cleaning the ice out only lasted for 2-3 casts.
I do enjoy the winter fishing, the solitude is nice when there is a fresh blanket of snow.

ryan-

On freezing tips & guides ... I have used, with marginal success, a heavy application of fly floatant paste to smear around on the guide and slow the accumulation of ice. Use something like Cortland Dab. The thick stuff. It's not foolproof and will require reapplication but it's better than nothing.

sgrim wrote:
On freezing tips & guides ... I have used, with marginal success, a heavy application of fly floatant paste to smear around on the guide and slow the accumulation of ice. Use something like Cortland Dab. The thick stuff. It's not foolproof and will require reapplication but it's better than nothing.[/quote/]
don't get the brilliant idea of replacing the guides with ones from spinning rod unless you want the ultimate dead stick...and I payed for the experience,one of my better ideas that did not fly..
as someone mentioned above--find places where springs add warmwater and fish below this to point where its reached stream temp-the fish will be there ,not nearly as spooky so find the right place and can fish through it several times.

Thanks guys for all the information. I am tying up a few more streamers. As for location, I haven't quite decided yet. Seems like water conditions are marginally better than they have been.

I am considering
the C&R section of Lititz run as there were lots of fish present when I fished it at the end of October.

I may fish the Tully or the Quittapahilla for the first time.

Worst case I always have the sportsmans club stocked trout pond if it isnt frozen over.

Decisions, Decisions.

Nomad,
If you're able to travel to central PA, particularly Centre or Cumberland Counties, you have the famous limestone streams. They don't freeze (or freeze very little under very cold conditions) and often fish well in winter as the water temps are much warmer.

If it isn't brutally cold, mountain wild trout streams can fish okay in winter as well. In my experience, wild brook trout can be quite active in winter, even when there is ice on the creeks. Sometimes these streams are all but inaccessible due to deep snow in mountain draws and ravines. Snowshoes can help, but streamside brush and rhododendron can defeat snowshoes. It's just better to wait for the snow to melt before hitting mountain brookie streams.

I usually switch over to the wild trout streams exclusively after Thanksgiving to April. They're always willing to play unless there's a big snow melt going on. The stocked fish get really sluggish and unless you can sight fish for them, it can be a pretty boring day of watching a float. If you can sight fish, I'd suggest very subtle hook sets, as they'll probably just be lipping your fly and it's real easy to pull the hook out of their mouth and land it in the tree behind you.

As for wild trout streams, speaking for the Laurel Highlands gemmie streams mainly here, I fish them the same as any other time of the year. A stimulator with a midge dropper in the small creeks, or a tandem nymph rig, sz 16-18, under a little foam float for deeper/bigger creeks and runs. They'll still readily crush dry flies in shallow runs even in the dead of winter. Seems like it's a lot more difficult to bring them up from the depths of deep pools in the winter tho.

leave the mountain brookies to spring they are having a ruff enough time of it. insects are gone. (burrowed) not much in baitfish. lots of ice and cold water.

Dave_W wrote:
Nomad,
If you're able to travel to central PA, particularly Centre or Cumberland Counties, you have the famous limestone streams. They don't freeze (or freeze very little under very cold conditions) and often fish well in winter as the water temps are much warmer.

If it isn't brutally cold, mountain wild trout streams can fish okay in winter as well. In my experience, wild brook trout can be quite active in winter, even when there is ice on the creeks. Sometimes these streams are all but inaccessible due to deep snow in mountain draws and ravines. Snowshoes can help, but streamside brush and rhododendron can defeat snowshoes. It's just better to wait for the snow to melt before hitting mountain brookie streams.

Dave,
I do have the ability to travel somewhat around 2ish hours one way for a day trip may be a good soft max of travel time. I cant travel more than an hour this week but as we get farther into the winter I will be able to travel. I am not familiar with Centre or Cumberland counties at all. I don't even know where to start when planning a trip up there. Which streams, decent access, wading that is on the easier side as I dont want accidentally to go swimming in the winter.

Keep the fish in the water. Gills and skin can freeze. Handle with care and release quick.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Keep the fish in the water. Gills and skin can freeze. Handle with care and release quick.

Great reminders. I have gotten into the habit of only using barbless hooks and keeping the fish in the water. I try to touch the fish a little as possible. I really like the no touch releases at my feet or in the net. I use the net to take pressure off the hook and the majority of the time the hook comes right out and the fish is back in the water.

For icy guides you can use a non-stick cooking spray like PAM. It keeps the ice off fairly well, is easy to reapply, and will have you shooting line like Tim Rajeff.

Back