Ed Shenk

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

Guys and gals, we lost a great one this afternoon. Here's a recent note from Ed Shenk's family:

"My Dad, Ed Shenk, went to be with Mom and the Lord this afternoon. He was 93 and loved the LeTort above just about everything. See you when we see, Daddy.”

Was truly an honor to have fished and spent time with Ed over the years. Truly a legend, and he will be missed.

My condolences to you and you're family.

May peace be with your father, with you, and your family.

A sad loss.

Ed was one of the last members of that generation of thoughtful and innovative anglers that Pennsylvania, and the Cumberland Valley in particular, produced.

So sorry for your loss.
We all lost something here too.

Sorry for your loss. He was a great man.

My father had a great talk one evening with Ed on a bench at Allenberry as they waited for the spinnerfall to start. It’s a very special memory.

Deepest sympathies to you and your family, your family and father will be in my prayers. my wife and I took a class at Allenberry with your Dad and Joe Humphreys. For having done great things in fishing your dad treated us like family and made us feel at home there.
In fact i just finished reading his book yesterday. I have a"shorty" rod he made for me years ago - it has made wonderful memories for me.

My sympathy to you and your family. Never had the honor of meeting your father, but have friends who have had the pleasure.

Just to clarify: LetortAngler was relaying the message and is not Ed's son.

A great loss for the PA flyfishing community, a true legend. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet and talk to Mr. Shenk on several occasions. His innovative patterns will carry on forever.

Sorry to hear this. When I was young, I ran into him one time on the LeTort just after he'd broken a rod. I couldn't get to a fish with mine, and he showed me how to toss the fly to that trout that was taking sulphurs. Was a long time ago, but I still remember it. Running into him, Fox, and Marinaro when I was just beginning to fly-fish in the early '70s was pretty heady stuff. I think of him as one of the giants of innovative PA fly fishing.

Very sad. Shenk's streamer gave me many happy days chasing smallmouth. My condolences.

rrt wrote:
Sorry to hear this. When I was young, I ran into him one time on the LeTort just after he'd broken a rod. I couldn't get to a fish with mine, and he showed me how to toss the fly to that trout that was taking sulphurs. Was a long time ago, but I still remember it. Running into him, Fox, and Marinaro when I was just beginning to fly-fish in the early '70s was pretty heady stuff. I think of him as one of the giants of innovative PA fly fishing.

Wow, fun stuff. He will be missed. His legendary presence and name to the Cumberland valley streams aside he seems like regular people. The old salts like Ed Shenk sharing pleasantries and advice along the stream to newbies is one of the things that makes fly fishing so special.

Sadly, it may be awhile before we can continue these acquaintances without awkward interaction. But I digress.

So long end, see you around the next bend.

I'll have to fish the rod he made me this year in tribute.

The Letort guys; Fox, Marinaro & Shenk were my idols as a kid. I happy to say I spent time with all of them.

Probably have read several articles in the past about him. Sounds like he had a good long life.

I certainly know of Shenks minnow.

What else is he known for? Guess his home water were the Letort?

Respect for those guys that were innovative by trail and error over the years , only by doing yourself, meeting other flyfishers in person on streams or various meetings or books.

I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to him a couple times over they years. I recall a really down to earth man who was happy to share his knowledge with others. I think he was probably the last of the great Cumberland Valley limestone fishermen. I love to read about the Letort and Big Spring when they were truly premium trout waters and men like Ed held them in such high regard.

I hope he rests in piece and can fish a heavenly sulfur hatch in eternity.

Sad News , his book Flyrod Trouting influenced the way I tie flys and flyfish today . Arguments can be made that his flys not only stand the test of time but are the building blocks of modern fly design , and I'm not sure he was ever appreciated enough for that . Rest In Peace Ed .

Bamboozle wrote:
I'll have to fish the rod he made me this year in tribute.

I'm about to go yard cast mine. When I'm allowed to fish again, I will use it.

acristickid wrote:
What else is he known for?

Letort Hopper (he never forgave Marinaro for stealing the credit.)
Letort Cricket
Muskrat Cress Bug
Shenk's Sculpin

There is some question over whether the Letort Hopper was created by Ed Shenk or Ernie Schwiebert.

(Not Marinaro.)

Many of the books of that era gave joint credit to both Shenk and Schwiebert.

An explanation I read was that they were both experimenting with hopper patterns and creating various versions, and sharing and comparing their efforts.

I don't have any personal knowledge about it, that is just how the situation was commonly described in the angling literature in the 1970s.

troutbert wrote:

There is some question over whether the Letort Hopper was created by Ed Shenk or Ernie Schwiebert.

I had conversations with Mr Shenk on five or six occasions and every time he complained about Vince stealing his pattern. (And he never failed to praise Charlie Fox.)

Back