Easy Way To Cheat

jeffroey

jeffroey

Here's one of the most basic cheats I use when I'm tying flies, especially Paras:

I've always been horrible at grabbing the right socket (or wrench) to fit whatever nut/bolt I'm turning. That translated to by INability to consistently size tails, wings, other fly pieces we're taught should be some proportion of some hook dimension.

Just like grabbing the 2 sockets on either side of what I think the bolt head is, I've adapted similarly with tying:

If I'm tying up 6 or 12 of the same fly, I simply pinch a spare hook in a pair of Hackle pliers and have it close by to use as a ready reference for hook shank length, twice the gape, shank plus eye, etc. It helps me get to consistent flies and settles down the OCD.

If you don't have that problem or don't care, you're a better or more balanced tyer than me. If you do care, it's something that's often overlooked due to its simplicity.

20240312 185825

this is the tool for perfect fly proportions, any hook will work with this. not made anymore

Attachments

• golden mean1.jpg
    golden mean1.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 51
  • golden mean2jpg.jpg
    golden mean2jpg.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 48
As I prefer my own proportions to those chosen by others; when I feel I need to "gauge" things I take a 3 X 5 card and a thin tip marker and draw lines on a corner of the card to show me the lengths of stuff. When tying I just hold up the card against the fly I am tying to use my gauge.

I can get the info for 8 or more different pattern on the same card. If I am smart enough to remember to write what pattern the lines represent, I stash the card in a drawer and use it again or just make a new one.

If you want something fancier, Bill Skilton has a few of the old Don Du Bois gauges lying around:

Bottom line, what ever works for you is the best idea!!

Back