Easton to Riegelsville float

I don't fish for shad in this section of the Delaware. Lots of people do and I've seen plenty of them caught. Look for "funnel" areas around Reigelsville. Most of the ones I've seen caught appear to be American Shad. I usually go down to Conowingo a couple of times in the spring for my shad "fix."

Well then you must prefer the smaller American/White & Hickory Shad - LOL.

I switched from spin to fly about 5 years ago. I'm not much of a tier. But; I tie flys to look like darts. Lots of 2->5lb shad with ave being 2 1/2 ->3. Water level and temp are critical. You have to move around a lot as levels change.

As said above - Pinch points, especially those with a pocket, are the best spots to fish right on the current seam. I use an 8wt so to get them in quick and release. Personally I suggest you have some some muscle. Some guys use 5wt. I feel that exhausts them to much.

Next rain event it will bust wide open.

Boat electrofishing with very little effort revealed that American shad were present already in the Riegelsville stretch on Friday. SMB's were getting active near shore as well and the white sucker run was on. Get out the garden hackle!

Thinking of going to do this float Sunday. With rain -- riegelsville gauge will be around ~4 feet which is lower end decent floating..

Has anyone fished this stretch recently with success?

Back