Eastern Pa Smallmouth Bass

P

paflyfisherman

I've been a stream trout fisherman all my life. Always stop fishing when the streams warm up. Thought fishing for smallmouth will fill the void. Would appreciate suggestions of where to go other then the Susquehanna. I live near Nazareth and would like to stay within an Hours drive.

I've been a stream trout fisherman all my life. Always stop fishing when the streams warm up. Thought fishing for smallmouth will fill the void. Would appreciate suggestions of where to go other then the Susquehanna. I live near Nazareth and would like to stay within an Hours drive.
Aren't you really close to the Delaware River? Why not go there and find some smallmouths. I am no expert on Eastern PA but it can't be too hard to find smallmouth. Or the lower Lehigh River? Aren't there bass there?

There's something of a consensus among our east side WW types that smallmouth bass (SMBs) are not as prevalent in the streams in EPA and SEPA as they used to be.

My advice would be to explore smaller waters, including stocked trout streams, in the Lehigh watershed. By July, SMBs are common in most local streams. Don't expect to get a lot of the picture fish common on social media - SMBs in the upper teens - as such fish are rare in creeks. However you can expect to catch a lot of bass up to about 14" and maybe some larger ones. SMBs this size are a blast.

Pretty much every stream that's too big to hold wild browns has smallies. Current and rocks are a bonus for more smallies.

My area's a little west of you. Within an hour in this direction, you have the skuke, little skuke, swatara for sure. The skuke anywhere downstream of Auburn reservior is good smallmouth water. I'd imagine the Lehigh is good too.

I've found the biggest challenge in smallie fishing is mobility. In a stream/small river environment, in every pool I have action quickly. Whatever fish are active don't take a lot of convincing. But I catch em or miss em, and that's it. Time to move. Moving to the next good spot might be a quarter mile. Focus on fast, rocky areas. The kayak has enabled a ton. First, I can fish far banks, or out in the middle, that I couldn't get to from shore. But more importantly, I can park it, fish a tailout/riffle/head of pool area for 15 minutes till it kind of dies off, jump in the yak and float to the next good looking spot.

The lower parts of the Delaware River have been tough for smallie fishing but the middle and upper sections of river fish better. I suggest, for the best SMB fishing starting from Nazareth, just head north on Rt. 611 which follows the Delaware River and head towards the Delaware Water Gap area. There are plenty of fishing opportunities anywhere along the River there. And north of that there's Bushkill, Dingman's Ferry all the way to Milford that are all great areas for smallies. Good luck.

Last edited:
The Delaware's fairly big water, but if you find riffles and runs you can access, it becomes a matter of compartmentalizing. Islands help. It took me quite a while to wrap my mind around bigger rivers.

You should be about an hour from Dingman's Ferry. Look online for public access. Also, look at Google Satellite for islands and riffles. You may also spot mid-river boulders this way!

Summer pattern (esp. low water): Fish the same riffles, runs and pocket water you would for trout. THe bass get up in the broken water for more dissolved O2 and lots of food (crayfish, Hellgramites, Minnows, Nymphs). Bass will get their noses right up to rocks in false water. In deeper runs, they like the pillow upstream from rocks, just like trout. Fallen wood is a smallie magnet.

Read this post: Simplicity, I Love It

My Big Y order should hit tomorrow, so I plan to be knee deep in the Schuylkill possibly both days this weekend getting the new Sage in the game...

In some of the larger creeks with a good smallmouth population, you'll get small ones but there are usually a few in the upper teen range, the "pool bosses". I fish out of a kayak and these fish might only come several times a year, but they are there. ( Of course depending on the creek ) Hot day yesterday, water low and murky, hooked and lost 2 in that class. Fish relentless.

Thanks for all of the excellent responses.

The Delaware is the best local smallie fishery to Nazareth IMHO. Remember, you can fish any shore with a PA license and you can hit some spots better from the NJ side.

I would agree the Delaware above Dingman's Ferry is fishing better lately, but I suggest you get to know spots closer to home. The fishing is good, but not non-stop action. North of Easton/P,burg is decent. The rapids above St Anthonys Nose/Marble Hill is good. I think the NJ side access is better but can park at Frost Hollow access off 611 on the PA side. (not much access from 611 in this area IMHO - but maybe you can find some). On the way to Belvidere there are some good spots from the PA side. All around Foul Rift rapids can be good - can walk down from Riverton Ball Fields or from environmental center. Doe Hollow has good fishing. I like upriver in the rapids for fly fishing, but anywhere along the drop offs will have fish. May have to compete with boats though. I would suggest scouting out the local river so you have spots to fish if you don't have much time.

If the Delaware seems big, the lower stretch of the Brodhead from the paper mill down has smallies and the big hole by the gaging station has every kind of fish that is found in the Delaware, but some of it is hard to fly fish.

Haven't fished the Lehigh in a while, but may be some good options there. Can shoot right down to Bethlehem from Nazareth and get access from one of the parks along the river.

I haven't canoed this in a long time(mid 80's-early 90's), but I have caught a lot of smallmouth bass from Hancock, NY to Callicoon, NY.

I didn't keep score, but I am going to guess 40-50. The vast majority were<10".

The Delaware is the best local smallie fishery to Nazareth IMHO. Remember, you can fish any shore with a PA license and you can hit some spots better from the NJ side.

I would agree the Delaware above Dingman's Ferry is fishing better lately, but I suggest you get to know spots closer to home. The fishing is good, but not non-stop action. North of Easton/P,burg is decent. The rapids above St Anthonys Nose/Marble Hill is good. I think the NJ side access is better but can park at Frost Hollow access off 611 on the PA side. (not much access from 611 in this area IMHO - but maybe you can find some). On the way to Belvidere there are some good spots from the PA side. All around Foul Rift rapids can be good - can walk down from Riverton Ball Fields or from environmental center. Doe Hollow has good fishing. I like upriver in the rapids for fly fishing, but anywhere along the drop offs will have fish. May have to compete with boats though. I would suggest scouting out the local river so you have spots to fish if you don't have much time.

If the Delaware seems big, the lower stretch of the Brodhead from the paper mill down has smallies and the big hole by the gaging station has every kind of fish that is found in the Delaware, but some of it is hard to fly fish.

Haven't fished the Lehigh in a while, but may be some good options there. Can shoot right down to Bethlehem from Nazareth and get access from one of the parks along the river.
Thanks for the excellent comments. Very helpful and exactly what I needed.

Back