East Branch Perkiomen Help

paparise

paparise

I'm looking to give the trout a break and fish for some WW species. I'd like to hit the east branch of the Perk near Schwenksville. Based on PAFB's 2008 survey it looks to be pretty good, although at this point its 4 years old so who knows. Anyone care to give me some insight on access points in that area? Right now I'm looking at WAWA park and planning on fishing down swinging a whoolly bugger or clouser minnow.

Feel free to PM me if you want to help a guy out and don't want to tell the world.

Thanks in advance.

paparise wrote:
Based on PAFB's 2008 survey it looks to be pretty good, although at this point its 4 years old so who knows.

Sounds like you've got some good basis to do some exploring.

Bass in creeks and small rivers will usually be found in the same pools every summer on a pretty consistent basis. In some years, however, they show up later in the summer or depart earlier in the fall. Usually by mid July the creeks are in their predictable summer patterns. If your exploring reveals few or no bass, be sure to check a different section as bass populations in smaller waters such as these are spotty and localised.

Thanks. The plan is to cover as much water as I can in 3 hours of the early morning.

paparise wrote:
....planning on fishing down swinging a whoolly bugger or clouser minnow.

The plan is to cover as much water as I can in 3 hours of the early morning.

Yup. Find and focus on sections with rocks/cover with a good flow and some depth. Add some popper or sliders for on top, buggers and/or clousers drift, swing, hang, strip. - try it all. Also try dead-drifting some larger nymphs may take fish if they are not chasing.

Good luck. Post a report.

Fished it from 5am-9am from 0.25mi down from wawa camp park to 0.25mi up from the park. The river bed outside the park was solid rock and hard to wade. It was shallow and there was little to no action on those parts of the creek.

The water inside the park was about chest deep and still with a sandy/silty bottom. We caught tons of sunnies here and a few rock bass.

The only SMB of the day was caught under the metal bridge on the south end of the park. It seemed to be the olnly place with good flow and some structures. He was 8" but put up a food fight. Made me miss fishing for SMB and wish there was a good SMB fishery close by.

I have faith in the pafb study so I will be back but not on this section.

Smallmouth population is best close to Schwenksville, but there are a few stretches elsewhere that are good. Hard bottom pools with some depth in the E Br are the places that will produce bigger fish, but they are such habitats are uncommon there. Keep searching.

Thanks. My next plan of action was to start at the mouth and fish up. Then I was going to move to the Prerk in Oaks down stream from the damn.

if u live in phoenixville why not try the skuke or lower french creek?

You would do well to hit any one of the Perk's access points from Green Lane on down to Rahns. I've been having a blast. Look for me.

I've fished the lower french near the mouth and the skuke in that area and have come up empty. I haven't fished much of the lower end of french so that may be an option. From my past experience on the skuke to my present experience on the skuke plus the YOY reports and general heresay I'm not even wasting my time on the skuke anywhere below reading.

The perk up near green lane is on my list of sections to scout. Thanks everyone.

Back