East Branch of Perkiomen

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

I chose a location that is near my home today to make my first fly fishing, stream outing of the year (since surgery). I noticed last week when I set this day in my calendar that the PFBC had it listed for in-season stocking on the 6th. (yesterday). I figured that was good as there would be trout in the section I chose as I understand it isn't likely many fish hold over in this section otherwise.

I also figured it wouldn't be crazy like opening day as it is October and Wednesday - a work day. I was wrong. It was packed this morning at least in the area I know. I checked out a stretch about 2.5 miles long and the only holes I know of (from walking around there in the past) were jammed with guys throwing bait and Power Bait. It was like a mini-opener. I saw one guy in the lot where I parked leaving and asked him how he made out. He said he didn't fish. He got to the one big hole near there and he said there was no room to fish.

I chose to enter the stream where they weren't with the goal of exploring and seeing if there were any other holes that weren't easy access. I fished for about 2.5 hours without finding any trout.

However, I had a good time and I learned several things. I got to try mending which is something I've only read about. The creek was running fast and my line would race down it if I didn't mend it. I saw a couple of fishy looking spots and the only way to get to them was cast upstream and allow the fly to get into position and then mend. And, by golly, it worked. I caught bluegill in most every one of those spots.

Walking was a bit difficult as steam had overflowed the banks from the storms last week and there was silt deposited in places where I found myself sinking above my boots. I thought they'd get sucked off my feet a few times. Nasty muck! I had to walk through it a couple of times in order to get where I wanted to fish. I was glad I had a collapsible stick with me.

I learned that being on small water with lots of trees around you, teaches you some interesting ways to cast. I had to use a sidearm, leftie cast in some places and it worked fine.

I also learned I need to practice tying knots in more difficult conditions than my living room.

All in all, a good time.

Why mend when you can high stick?

I've fly fished less than five times in my life with no instruction. :oops:

What is high sticking?

Yes, angler usage was good yesterday as well, the day of stocking. The angler count at 5:30 pm was 59 with additional anglers arriving and leaving. It was apparent that harvest was light. Trout were rising shortly before dark.

CaptainHook wrote:

What is high sticking?

High sticking is another term used for tight-line nymphing. Where you hold the fly line off the water by holding the rod at an angle with the rod tip up and slightly lead the fly to the downstream side after an upstream cast. It has its disadvantages in the fact you need to be close(r) to the fish. It's mainly a broken water tactic where you can get on top of the fish.

If the fly line is on the water, and you have multiple current speeds, you need to mend (as you found out). One, and probably the most common, exception is if you're fishing wets on a swing. You don't want to mend because the tension from the current creates the swing.

That's a condensed version.

BrookieChaser wrote:
CaptainHook wrote:

What is high sticking?

High sticking is another term used for tight-line nymphing. Where you hold the fly line off the water by holding the rod at an angle with the rod tip up and slightly lead the fly to the downstream side after an upstream cast. It has its disadvantages in the fact you need to be close(r) to the fish. It's mainly a broken water tactic where you can get on top of the fish.

If the fly line is on the water, and you have multiple current speeds, you need to mend (as you found out). One, and probably the most common, exception is if you're fishing wets on a swing. You don't want to mend because the tension from the current creates the swing.

That's a condensed version.

Thank you. I understand. That would not have worked for most of the places where I was mending as I could not get that close to where I wanted the fly. And, I could not cross to that side. I did try what I guess you'd call high sticking in my location where I was less than ten feet away.

Thanks for another lesson.

Mike wrote:
Yes, angler usage was good yesterday as well, the day of stocking. The angler count at 5:30 pm was 59 with additional anglers arriving and leaving. It was apparent that harvest was light. Trout were rising shortly before dark.

I grew up in Ohio and did not experience PA trout fishing until I was 36. I thought the guys were yanking my chain when they described how "fishermen" would surround a hole, elbow-to-elbow to catch a fish that was just put in their out of a truck.

When I finally went to look - not fish - opening day, I found it was more Bizzaro than they had described. It is thirty years later and I still don't join in and I still shake my head and ask, "Why?"

I would have enjoyed walking down to meet you and say hello, Mike. I enjoy and appreciate your posts.

CH:
Don't give up on the fall fishery. The pressure dies off pretty quickly and harvest is usually fairly light since the fish are often a little "picky" or finicky when in spawning condition. Once they begin to move up and down from the stocking points and once their behavior shifts out of spawning mode, they often start to strike "normally" as well, reducing your effort and improving your catch.

I got back on here today around noon. There was a guy fishing where I intended to start so I said hello and worked downstream. The only sign of fish was a bluegill that took by BWO. It is pretty shallow and not much cover other than some undercuts for much of the creek. I decided to head back to where I wanted to start thinking the guy might be gone, which he was.

The water was gin clear and great for wading. However, about halfway back to my starting point, the creek turned from gin to muddy to chalk. Normally, I'd think it must have rained but we've had beautiful weather and when I got home I checked the map to the west and didn't see any rain. Beside the mud, the water also rose a few inches.

Anyone have any idea what might have caused all the mud in the water? It happened about 1:15 pm. It looks like Green Lane Res. feeds into the Perkiomen and then into the East Branch. Maybe they had a release. I don't know if they even release water. Puzzling and it also sent me home.

Anyone know what might have caused all thi

Perkiomen is the Lenape word for "muddy". Swear to God.

Pretty sure it refers to "cranberries".. I'd take back your swear

http://www.livingplaces.com/PA/Montgomery_County/Perkiomen_Township.html This link states that "The first meaning "the place where cranberries grow" due to the fact that wild cranberries grew along the banks of the Creek and the second being "cloudy waters." so could be truth to both statements.

fadeaway263 wrote:
Perkiomen is the Lenape word for "muddy". Swear to God.
Wrong, it means where the cranberries grow. It is a Lenape word.

I'm a newbie to fly fishing and I too live near the East Branch of the Perkiomen Creek. My question, though, is where exactly is the fly-fishing only section with respect to Green Lane Park? I'm trying to figure out where to try where I'd have less bait and lure competition for my first time.

If I could ask for as specific as possible for the fly-only spots. Like cross streets.

Thanks in advance

The fly fishing only section is right at the bridge over church road up stream of the main Reservoir. This section is on the main branch of the Perkiomen creek not the east branch. Its a park run section and not by the state so you will not find it on the PAFB site. There are a lot of good fishing right in Perkasie on the east branch but there is not a fly fishing only section there.

chrisdm4 wrote:
The fly fishing only section is right at the bridge over church road up stream of the main Reservoir. This section is on the main branch of the Perkiomen creek not the east branch. Its a park run section and not by the state so you will not find it on the PAFB site. There are a lot of good fishing right in Perkasie on the east branch but there is not a fly fishing only section there.
Where Church Road crosses it, correct? Not where Church turns into Water St. by State St/Fruitville Rd intersection with the closed bridge, right?

Thanks

Yes right where it crosses the creek. Once you go over the bridge you will see a street right on the right called Goschenhoppen Church Rd. There is parking on the side of the road and you will see the fly fishing only sign right a the spill way to your left. Not sure on how far it goes up but i think it is fly only is down to the Reservoir. The sign should say. I have not been up there for over a year now.

chrisdm4 wrote:
Yes right where it crosses the creek. Once you go over the bridge you will see a street right on the right called Goschenhoppen Church Rd. There is parking on the side of the road and you will see the fly fishing only sign right a the spill way to your left. Not sure on how far it goes up but i think it is fly only is down to the Reservoir. The sign should say. I have not been up there for over a year now.
Thanks!

Did you get up there? Was wondering how you did. I wanted to try from the parking lot at church up to Fruitville Rd.

Back