East and West Delaware

Upper East rainbow from 6/18 that had the zoomies.
Are you aware that rainbows caught above Route 17 are uncommon? I've never caught one.

Work has been postponed!

A5484BE6 F6E2 4843 B1D7 FBAE223BDE27

Are you aware that rainbows caught above Route 17 are uncommon? I've never caught one.
Matt
They are all up through the Beaverkill. Some guys told me they seen them up as far as the ff-ing museum on the willowemoc. The upper east isn't thick with them but they're in there too at least as far as Al"s

I was not aware. Interesting...

Matt
They are all up through the Beaverkill. Some guys told me they seen them up as far as the ff-ing museum on the willowemoc. The upper east isn't thick with them but they're in there too at least as far as Al"s
I fished the Beaverkill and Willow from July of 1965 to July of 1996. In all those years rainbows were very, very uncommon. I believe I only caught six in 31 years. All I believe were hatchery fish tht came downstream from private clubs on the upper BK and Willow. I've seen many posts since 1996 about the frequent catches of rainbows on the Beaverkill. Does anyone have any ideas as to why rainbows are far more common now, and over the last ten years or so than they were in the period I fished there?

About 30 years ago I caught a nice 17" rainbow at the Power Line pool on the Willowemoc. Two 20" raibows came fropm the Beaverfkill. One in Barnharts and the other at the head of Hendricksons. All on nymphs.

Years ago I ran into a biologist that had a big antenna that looked a lot like the old rooftop aerials (this was before cable). He was driving up and down old 17 along the Beaverkill. He was tracking the movements of some trouts that had radio transmitters. He told me the geology, chemistry etc. of the river systems there were making it more conducive for rainbows than browns. Trout Creek near where the B'kill meets East Branch is one of the tribs that has spawning bows.

That was when they had the transmitters in the fish to document movements and better understand the resource.

Some fish were documented moving over 70 miles! I think they had a rainbow around Long Eddy started to move once water temp hit 62. Heading up river? Nope, swam all the way down to Narrowsburg area. One from the Lordville area made it into the Willow!

I've got enough of them between Horton and Jaws to make me think they are plenty of wilds established or moving through. From Jaws to Fishes Eddy, I'm catching 60%+ bows. Fishes to Hancock 60-70% bows. It does seem like there are sections that hold browns and only browns. It's kinda strange like they are separated by species in some stretches. It's not necessarily done by water type either. I can think of one flat before a tail out that is screaming big browns. Fished it for at least 20 years and nothing but bows. You go a mile down river to a deep bank along a fast water chute that is prime bow spot... nothing but browns. That river is strange sometimes.

I know the aqueduct work is now scheduled to begin in October. Does anyone know what the impact will be on water releases in September and October up there?
Is October 15th still the end of the season on West Branch on NY side?

I know the aqueduct work is now scheduled to begin in October. Does anyone know what the impact will be on water releases in September and October up there?
Is October 15th still the end of the season on West Branch on NY side?
I think it’s October 2024, which means the draw down will mean higher water *next* summer. As far as the season is concerned, it appears NYS has done away with the winter closures and enacted a year round season similarly to PA.

If anyone can tell me what the releases will be and the base flow....I can tell you the impact. Basically, we won't know until the day after it starts. I'm not holding my breath that it's going to go as planned 😂

Unless this is another change in plans it is my understanding that the shutdown is postponed until 2024. It has been posted daily on Delaware River Clubs fishing report.

Back